Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 I've returned form my trip.. >

I've returned form my trip..

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

I've returned form my trip..

Old 01-14-2008, 11:10 AM
Typical Buck

Default I've returned form my trip..

For those that dont know I went to Red River WMA this weekend with my ML. Friday evening, I heard deer in the thicket running through water but never saw one. That same evening right at dark I had a group of hogs come thorugh but I couldnt see them either, just heard them. Well Sat. morning at around 8:30 I heard deer running in the same thicket, then all of a sudden a big doe runs across my shooting lane to my right, so i stand so i can turn to get ready and a yerling steps out into the lane and stops about 75 yards away. I shot, the deer bounced into the thicket onthe left where the doe was. Then as I am reaching for my powder to reload they take off back across my lane into the original thicket. Hmmmm did I miss, I thought to myself, I had already missed a big buck earlier in the season with the same shot scenario. I give it about 30 minutes and I couldnt stand it any longer. As I am walking towards were the deer was standing I find a blood trail from where it crossed my shooting lane. But it wasnt alot of blood, so I am a little worried now. Deer didnt act hit and is barely bleeding. I followed it about 100 yards and decided to back out. I went and got my dad who was hunting not far from me and we picked up trail. Trailed for another 200-250 yards and the blood trail diminished just a few drops here and there. I hate that, i hate that I did that to an animal, I think it was a low briskett shot, there was a little white hair and that was it.
Well I walk back to get my stand and he goes to get his, as I am standing there i took off my jacket and hear something running towards me. Now what is this, I am thinking a big buck is on his way you know. well I get tolooking and about 30 hogs are coming my way fast. 2 sows and some little pigs. They run about 30 yards from me and I am on the first one but she hit my opening to fast, as the second big sow hits the opening she sees me and wheels around and I popped her, she ran about 30 yards and folded up. Right behind the shoulder, the 250 grain shockwave punched all the way through a 200lb hog with only 100 grains triple 7 pellets. Thiss my first year with a muzzleloader, I killed a young buck the first part of season I missed a big buck, I shot a deer that got away and killed a hog with it. Also i killed a cotton mouth with it. I really enjoy muzzleloading as much as I enjoy archery. it is a great hobby...
Old 01-14-2008, 11:20 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: I've returned form my trip..

It sounds like an excellent hunt... that hog will be some good eating I am sure. Congratulations.
Old 01-14-2008, 12:13 PM
Boone & Crockett

Good hunt killadoe, (it would be killadeaux) around my neck of Louisiana). I'm surprised that 250 Shockwave passed through a 200 lb. hog. What kind of exit wound and internal damage did you get?
Old 01-14-2008, 12:27 PM
Typical Buck

Exit hole was slightly larger than the entrance, broke a few ribs on way in and on the way out, internally the lungs and heart was tow up, nothing but a mess on the inside. I really am liking the shockwaves, The deer I killed at beginning of season and this hog only traveled alittle ways before flipping over. If you put that bullet in the pump station it will do its job. Accurate and deadly....
Old 01-14-2008, 01:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

It is extremely difficult to tell where you hit a deer when you shoot at it with a MZ. There is just too darned muck smoke to try and watch the shot.

Was the hair short and thin, or was it long and course??Was the blood a bright red, or was it a dull red?? These answers could help you determine what type of hit you made. Was there any blood on the bushe's. If so at what height?? If no blood on bushes that could indicate a low hit. Was the blood to the side of the tracks, or directly below the tracks??

I think you know where I am going with all these questions. You can tell alot about where a deer is hit if you study the trail. Get a good book on tracking. Tom.
Old 01-14-2008, 01:26 PM
Typical Buck

the hair was about 3/4 inch long and was white like a chest hair on a deer, the blood was pretty dark, wasnt like a foamy lung shot, there was no sign of gutsor anything. Blood was never seen on bushes or trees, the blood seemed to be right over the tracks. In some places the puddle looked like the blood was just dripping rather than spraying. Thats the reason I think it was a low briskett shot.

Now the hog on the other hand it had a 3 foot wide blood trail, I took out the lungs and the top part of the heart. it was a totally different blood trail, there was blood everywhere.

Actually the hog died about 5 feet from where the deer was standing when i shot it. Their blood trails connected. There was blood everywhere.
Old 01-14-2008, 01:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: killadoe

the hair was about 3/4 inch long and was white like a chest hair on a deer, the blood was pretty dark, wasnt like a foamy lung shot, there was no sign of gutsor anything.
Sounds like you are right. I was thinking you might have hit the deer low in the leg. But normally leg hit hair is shorter, and the blood is bright red-but not foamy. It is amazing what you can tell about a hit if you really analyze it. I have a friend who can really track them. He has taught me alot. Tom.
Old 01-14-2008, 02:03 PM
Typical Buck

upper leg shot ...this happens when u don't squeese the trigger ..when u jerck the trigger the barrel is pulled down and the shot is too low ..my friend wounded a deer also i followed it for 2 hours [lucky for us we had 12" of snow on the ground] and found it only next day and put it out of it's missery ..
Old 01-14-2008, 02:06 PM
Fork Horn

Sounds like ya had a good season. Sometimesthings happen like that-nobody likes it but we all learn from it. Kerry
Old 01-14-2008, 02:17 PM
Typical Buck

Heinz57 that could very well be the case, it all happened so fast and I have so much to learn about muzzleloaders. I know after the shot you cant see a darn thing. But I could have made a high leg shot, I watched the deer trot away and it didnt seem to limp or anything, but them deer sure are tough so you never know. I hope it made it though, i really felt bad.

Tenmile, I have had a wonderful season, I killed a bobcat with my bow killed 5 deer and a hog, one of the deer and the hog were with my ml. I missed the buck of my life with my muzzleloader, it was the same shot scenario as the deer I wounded. I am going to practice that shot and be very prepared for next year.

I have killed 14 deer in my hunting career, 5 this year and I have never shot and lost one like I did sat. I was told it will eventually happen,but I always thought "oh that wont happen to me" well guess what it did. I felt horrible about it, and I am going to make sure next yearI wont make the same mistake. Had I practiced that shot and practiced with my ML more, I may have gotten that deer and that big buck I missed in Oct. I learned so much this weekend....

Quick Reply: I've returned form my trip..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.