Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Oil in barrel of ML' s, Is this a good Idea >

Oil in barrel of ML' s, Is this a good Idea

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Oil in barrel of ML' s, Is this a good Idea

Old 11-09-2003, 06:22 PM

Default Oil in barrel of ML' s, Is this a good Idea

I' m trying to figure out the best way to keep my mL in good shape, new owner.

Thanks Sean
Old 11-09-2003, 06:27 PM

Default RE: Oil in barrel of ML' s, Is this a good Idea

http://www.nighthawkpublications.com...urnal097-1.htm
copy and paste the link this may help
Old 11-09-2003, 07:04 PM
Dominant Buck

Oil in the barrel? I am one that does oil his barrel. After a day of shooting, I use the hot water method for cleaning my rifle. After I have the barrel clean, I run a few patches of Hoppies #9 through it, then some clean dry patches. If this rifle is going to be stored, then I run a light coat of Rem Oil down the barrel and store the rifle muzzle end down on a piece of cotton cloth.

Then before shooting, I run a Hoppies #9 patch down the barrel to get the oil out, then a denatured alcohol patch or two then a couple of dry clean ones, and let the rifle sit a few minutes. I then pop a few caps through the nipple and then pick the nipple and load as normal. I have never had any problems with the rifle doing this in 20 plus years, so I will continue this way... Good luck with the rifle.
Old 11-09-2003, 10:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

only oil your barrel for storing
Old 11-10-2003, 06:06 AM

I use oil in my barrel as well. Then before shooting, I run several patches to dry out the barrel. Also, I shoot a few primer or pan powder before shooting.

Tomster
Old 11-10-2003, 03:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

To help eliminate confussion, oil in the barrel should be used when storing the firearm. When you intend on shooting that firearm you should remove the oil to eliminate excess pressure which can cause POI shift, be dangerous and damaging to the firearm.

If your worried about the elements effecting the inside of the barrel or getting your powder wet use electrical tape on the end, as this will prevent moisture from entering via the barrel. Safe and reccomended by many manufacturers and knowledgeable BP/CF rifleman.
Old 11-18-2003, 10:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

Oil in the barrel? I am one that does oil his barrel. After a day of shooting, I use the hot water method for cleaning my rifle. After I have the barrel clean, I run a few patches of Hoppies #9 through it, then some clean dry patches. If this rifle is going to be stored, then I run a light coat of Rem Oil down the barrel and store the rifle muzzle end down on a piece of cotton cloth.
I do essentially the same thing, but recently have been using Birchwood Casey Sheath as a bore preservative (used Break-Free prreviously). Sheath dries in the bore, and makes it much easier to load the gun later. It only takes one dry patch and two popped caps before loading when using it.

To help eliminate confussion, oil in the barrel should be used when storing the firearm. When you intend on shooting that firearm you should remove the oil to eliminate excess pressure which can cause POI shift, be dangerous and damaging to the firearm.
IT IS ABSOLUTELUY ESSENTIAL to get ALL OIL out of a muzzleloader barrel before loading it! Oil will kill powder AND caps!!
Old 11-19-2003, 10:04 AM
Dominant Buck

eldeguello
I have read a lot of posts about this Birchwood Casey Sheath. How would you rate it compared to say Rem Oil? Is it easy to use, and does it come out of the bore easy with just a few dry patches? I am getting together an order right now and noticed that the place sells the Birchwood Casey Sheath. I am thinking that I might try a can of it. I was reading about it, and it sounds good. I guess I just hate to try something new when the old way has been working, but then I am always willing to try something that is better.
Old 11-19-2003, 10:30 AM
Typical Buck

Only Crisco for this kid.....
Old 11-19-2003, 12:20 PM
Dominant Buck

cyclone.. you use crisco instead of bore butter? I ask because I used to use that myself. It seemed to work fine. In fact I still use it with the black powder revolver for covering the chambers to avoid chain fires. I went to the bore butter because it was easier to use in hot weather. The crisco got too slimy when the weather got hot. A friend told me to melt some bees wax into it, but it seemed like too much fooling around, so I went to the bore butter for the conicals.

Quick Reply: Oil in barrel of ML' s, Is this a good Idea

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.