Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Suggestions for new ml hunter >

Suggestions for new ml hunter

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Suggestions for new ml hunter

Old 01-09-2008, 12:18 PM

Default RE: Suggestions for new ml hunter

TC's QLA problems are with conicals not sabots.

i prefer a rifle that will shoot an assortment of concials/sabots. And for the price that TC likes to charge, They should be willing to get their QLA problems worked out.
Old 01-09-2008, 12:41 PM
Typical Buck

Frontier Gander, how many T/C's with QLA doto you have?

I have four .50cal T/C's with a QLA false muzzle and they all shoot conicals very well. In particular the Hornady Great Plains 385gr.Almost as good as anysabotI've used. They also shoot powerbelts with what seems likedecent accuracy, but I have done so little shooting with powerbelts I cannot say for sure. I know lots of folks shooting the powerbelts with T/C QLA Barrels though.

I also had an older Black Diamond (wish I still had)with QLA and that would shoot pretty much anything I shoved in the bore.

Also, I am able to get T/C's with QLA muzzle's to shoot PRB's at lower velocites/charges with really pretty good accuracy.

While I do agree that a false muzzle can possiblyaffect accuracy especially if the false muzzle is not perfectly centered in relationship to the bore, butI have yet to see an issue? I guess my T/C's are the exception? Perhaps T/C has an issue with some of their QLA muzzle's off-axsis to the bores on some ML's? Possible certainly.

But not on the one's I have.

[:-]
Old 01-09-2008, 12:49 PM
Boone & Crockett

FG

TC's QLA problems are with conicals not sabots.

i prefer a rifle that will shoot an assortment of concials/sabots. And for the price that TC likes to charge, They should be willing to get their QLA problems worked out.
Remember not all QLA's interfer with the correct shooting of conicals - in fact I have not heard of any of these problems with the more recent TC guns... Although I agree with you I do prefer a non QLA barrel.

Price... that might be a problem for some maybe even most - but you are also paying for a lifetime warranty - not a "limited life time warranty." And for me this warranty has really gone the call - with no questions asked... they just fix a replace the items I have discussed with them. I guess that is also one of the reasons that so many people buy Leupolds vs other scopes.

Lastly remember,the majority of end users and states do not require a conical shooter.
Old 01-09-2008, 01:22 PM

That brings up a question i have. Has anyone been able to get in contact with TC? Ive called the, 4 times in the past week with no answer, emailed 3 times, no answer. Whats up with this? I want to know if their replacement barrels for the tc new englander comes with the stinky qla or not.

When it comes to a guy needing a rifle that shoots a conical, I notice a lot of people telling them to stay away from the tc line and telling them to go with a knight, traditions or cva.

Lets not get into the warranty thingy, ive never had to use mine on any of my cheaper, low quality rifles.
Old 01-09-2008, 01:42 PM
Typical Buck

T/C closes down over the holidays (always haveas far as I amaware)and don't open back up until 01/07/08.

If I wanted a pure conical shooter, I would try to get my hands on a White.
Old 01-09-2008, 01:53 PM

Does white make a rifle that has a little strip of steel and a hammer with a rock connected on it? lol

Flintlocks are an addition.
Old 01-09-2008, 05:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've owned at least 7 (that I can think of in short order)modern TC rifles with QLA. 3 of the 7 would not shoot conicals worth spit and one of those (an Encore) would not keep conicals inside a 6 foot at 50 yards. Itwouldn't shoot anything else worth a dern either.I never fired a single round from two of those TCs - just sold them - so I don't know if they would have shot well or not.

Knight has far better barrels so far as QC and specimen to specimen consistency.
Old 01-09-2008, 07:56 PM
Boone & Crockett

Underclocked

Just to relate a story to you... I ordered 2 GM-LRH barrels in White from GM several years ago. Both barrels were 32" inches long, much longer thanI wanted but the price $20.00 each was so right I could not resist getting them. I took them to a local gun smith here the area that was a very accomplished competition rifle builder. I asked him to cut them down to standard TC Hawken length. I couple of days later he called and asked what kind of crown I wanted on the end of the barrels... I had no ideal, so he suggested a target crown and then he asked if I wanted a false muzzle as it made them easier to load and and they were more accurate than a standard crown. Well, I am all over the more accurate thought but had know idea what I wanted so I said put one of each on the two barrels...

I guess you would call it a QLA - but what ever it was it was accurate... so if they are done correctly they do work, because it shoots BullShops very well, and I am sure better if there was a better shooter than I behind the stock.

Old 01-10-2008, 09:43 AM
Typical Buck

White Rifles does not make a flintlock, but Dr. Gary White sure has.
Old 01-10-2008, 07:52 PM
Spike

Sorry guys I forgot to say that I'm in New york and most likely will only hunt deer with it. I am looking more towards the inlines. The weather gets nasty up here and we only have 9 days of muzzleloader season although it can be used during shotgun. I appreciate the head start you guys gave me and theres a lot more to it than I thought.

Quick Reply: Suggestions for new ml hunter

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.