Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Suggestions for new ml hunter >

Suggestions for new ml hunter

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Suggestions for new ml hunter

Old 01-08-2008, 12:45 AM
Spike

Default Suggestions for new ml hunter

I am looking to buy a muzzleloader and have around $3-4 hundred to spend on it. I have not huntedor shot one before andI have no idea what brands or models arethe bestones. I thought I would ask your opinions so I could narrow down my research areas. Thanks in advance.
Old 01-08-2008, 12:52 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Suggestions for new ml hunter

Me personally I would look for a gun I like in the T/C or KNight line. But that is just me. They are getting some good deals on Omega z5s in T/C and the krb in the knight is getting good reviews. Either of those would fit your spending. Kerry
Old 01-08-2008, 03:05 AM
Typical Buck

It would help to know what state you live and hunt in as some states have different requirements as to what is legal both in muzzleloader configuration and bullet types. Colorado for instance only allows heavy conical lead bullets and most T/C rifles with the QLA bullet loading muzzle do not shoot conicals very well. The Knight KRB is my suggestion if the action is legal in the states you hunt. Some states do not allow closed breach type rifles. I own both and Omega and the KRB and would recommend the KRB over the Omega. My Omega shoots sabots great but it is a pain to find the correct sabot bullet combination that the Omega will accept. Most T/C bores are quite tight. The Knight bores are a little larger and will accept more combinations.
Old 01-08-2008, 04:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Also think about which way you want to go, traditional or modern.
Big differences involved.
Sidelocks seem to be a lot fussier about their diet while modern inlines are pretty easy to feed.
I shot a buddies Knight, and it was a lot more forgiving than my Trade Rifle.
Old 01-08-2008, 05:43 AM

I would look real hard at the Knight KRB7
They are a Awsome shooting Rifle they shoot saboted bullets as well as Conicals with great accuracy.
I bought mine for just under $310.00 it is the SSbarrle with black synthetic stock, It is with out a dought the easyest BP rifle to clean that I have owned or have ever owned.
I shoot the Bull shop Custom Conicals out of mine and at 100yds it will shoot 1" to 1.25" shot groups all day every day, I have also shot the Barnes TMZ out of it with a shot group the same 1" to 1.25". But I bought mine just for conical shooting, I own 6 Knights - 1 TC - 1 Remmington - 1 Traditions and the Knights out shoot all the other ones put togather and the others are no slackers in the accuacy department by no means, they just not as accurat as the knights.
Old 01-08-2008, 10:24 AM

Traditional, Lyman Great Plains Rifle.

Inline, CVA Optima Elite. <-- Requires FFL due to frame being built to swap centerfire barrels. Like the TC Encore.
Old 01-08-2008, 01:44 PM
Boone & Crockett

narcoboy

I would strongly suggest you go with a stainless ML, it is worth the extra $...

The next thing... what is legal where you hunt?

If you can use an inline and sabots then I would really be leaning at a TC Omega, or the Triumph, it is a new upgraded version of an Omega. I have not handled one but a lot of people have them and like them - I do not because they are break action with a 2 piece stock...

The other hot gun right now is the Knight KRB. I was really interested in getting one maybe to replace my Omegas but when I looked at the weight of the gun I decided to forgo the temptation, if I wanted to carry around that much weight all day I would use my White U-Mag. Although, I will tell you some people have said it does not feel like a full 8# gun...

My absolute favorite, to show you how far behind I am, remains my Remington 700ML's. This year I ended up hunting with the White for awhile and when it came to elk season I jumped back to a Remington, kinda a security blanket for me... the Omega's never even madeit out of the house although next I do plan onusing the Omega... They are an excellent carry all day gun.
Old 01-08-2008, 01:57 PM
Typical Buck

sabotloader, I also love my Relic Rem700 an excellent ML in my view.

narcoboy, is $3-400 to include all of the trimmings (scope, rings, mount, powder, primers, cleaning and loading supplies)? If so then some or mostof the weaponry suggested with accessories will be over $400 budget. Can go with decent used and come out with a great setup.

Great suggestions so far, I'll add:
Traditions Pursuit Pro XLT
NEF Sidekick
Knight DISC Elite
Lyman Trade Rifle

Also, most folks are suggesting inline ML's. Please don't overlook a quality sidelock ML as they are just as much fun to shoot(cheaper if you consider patched roundballs versus sabots and conicals) and very lethal. In fact, I really only select target, sight in and hunt with my inlines and that amounts to about4-5 pounds of powder a yeargive or take. The other8-12 pounds of powder I shoot each year is with a flint or percussion lock ML.

Tahquamenon
Old 01-08-2008, 02:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

I also love my Remington 700's even though I have 2 T/C side locks.
If I were buying a new rifle today I would go with the Knight krb.
I likemost T/C;s but they should trash the QLA system in my option.
Old 01-09-2008, 11:17 AM
Typical Buck

I don't have a problem with T/C's false muzzle. Either with loading or accuracy.

Quick Reply: Suggestions for new ml hunter

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.