Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Jukar kentucky rifle ????? >

Jukar kentucky rifle ?????

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Jukar kentucky rifle ?????

Old 01-02-2008, 12:24 PM
Fork Horn

Default Jukar kentucky rifle ?????

Hello, I need some help. I have an older Jukar kentucky rifle. it has the 2 round wedge pins to hold the barrel on ( they kinda look like the old shear pins on a boat motor ) what I would like to do is put small brass bolts through the wedge holes. with a brass trim washer in each side. and a brass nut ( that looks like the brass bolt head ) please point me in the right direction. thanks Steve
Old 01-02-2008, 12:31 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Jukar kentucky rifle ?????

If you are going to shoot this muzzleloader, I wouldn't suggest using a small brass bolt? They are soft and could shear off when shooting your rifle! If it is for a wall hanger go to your local hardware store and they can help you out.
Old 01-02-2008, 12:53 PM
Fork Horn

RugerMike, How about if a guy used a small steel screw and brass washers on each side with a brass nut. the reason for wanting to change the way it is now, is the pins are getting sloppy and want to fall out. Thanks Steve
Old 01-02-2008, 01:10 PM
Dominant Buck

Put your barrel on a soft cloth. With a punch put a slight inward dent in the slot of the barrel that the wedge pin slides through. That will put the tension you want to hold it in place. Or you can put a slight bend on the wedge pin themselves...
Old 01-02-2008, 01:11 PM
Typical Buck

It would better to find you a larger wedge pin which also your hardware storeshould have as well. How small are these original pins? The steel screws will work but they will corrode and rust on you unless you use black treated gun screws.

Old 01-02-2008, 02:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

[quoteIt would better to find you a larger wedge pin which also your hardware storeshould have as well.][/quote]

That's what I'd do. You've got existing holes to use as pilots, so location is no problem. I'd also suggest installing escutcheons for thepin holes to keep them from wallowing out again.
Old 01-02-2008, 02:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

If they are round piins about 1/16 in diameter, just use the proper size nails...When I make a flintlock, I just use a finishing nail and cut to length...As Cay mentioned, you can bend them, but if done properly they should be tight enough that you need to hammer in...After inserting, you can work a little bees wax into the hole to help waterproof and seal....