Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 348 grain Powerbelt >

348 grain Powerbelt

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

348 grain Powerbelt

Old 12-25-2007, 10:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 348 grain Powerbelt

ORIGINAL: sabotloader

BigSarge

So how are you liking that new Optima? This muzzleloading thing will "git ya" if you are not careful.

When you start feeling comfortable handling and shooting that gun you also might want to start trying new components... you do not mention whether you are using pellets or loose powder, but loose powder will save you a lot of money + allow you to develope loads that give you the best accuracy.

Same for Power Belts, they are an excellent starter bullet because they are easy to load anddo shoot well, but if you are not locked into conicals by your state game laws - then their is a wide range of bullets that will serve you perhaps better. If you can shoot a sabot/projectile combination then you might want to expreriment with some Speer Gold Dots. The big thing is to find the correct sabot to go down your barrel. Probably the better beginning choice here is the Harvester "crush rib" and a.452/300 grain Speer Gold, they are not as expensive as PB's and make it more affordable to shoot paper and are abosolutely devastating on deer. Therehave been several accounts recorded on this site by various members.

I guess that is one of the real benefits of a ML, all the experimenting you can do without costing an arm and a leg.

Have fun....
Yep, Crushed Ribs work well with Gold Dots:

http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=00072H15045BR only $5, Cabelas sells em for $8.

The Gold Dots are $16 for 50:

http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=000213974

Here is a review like you did into the SabotLoader Rock Pile with the XTPs from MidWay supply, the
Unicore are the same as a Gold Dots. I got about 50 Noslers left, I plan on going over to them when I get the Nosler's done. Same weight 300g. Chap Gleason

Old 12-25-2007, 09:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: BigSarge

Ive been shooting 295 grain hollow point powerbelts with 80 grains of loose JSG. Had pretty good results. I bought some 348 grain Hollow point Powerbelts to play with. Should I start with the same 80 grain load or go up or down. I'm new to this stuff so I'm just having a blast playing with it.
You may need to kick up the powder charge5-10 grains - depending on the powder strength/age/contamination percentage. But in alot of cases, you will stay with the same volume.
Old 12-26-2007, 04:32 AM

depending on the powder strength/age/contamination percentage. But in alot of cases, you will stay with the same volume.
Pleaseexplain to us ignoramusses how to calculate the strength and contamination percentage of powder and how to adjust the charge based on that. Is it necessary to own a ballistics lab to do that?