Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 disassembling an optima >

disassembling an optima

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

disassembling an optima

Old 12-22-2007, 12:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default disassembling an optima

there was alot of rust in the hammer and trigger. i hit out the two of the pins and the third i cant budge.when i was trying to get the assembly out a spring fell out.

i dont know what to do. it shouldnt be thathard to take apart, i just want a clean gun to store

any help!!?
Old 12-22-2007, 01:49 PM

Default RE: disassembling an optima

i read that you have to send the action to CVA for them to repair/clean. May have made a boo boo. Check through your manual and see what it has to say.
Old 12-25-2007, 08:33 AM
Fork Horn

Made the same mistake myself and then read the manual afterwards, where it says you can't disassmeble. I sent the assmebly to them with a check for I believe $17 and they put it back together for me. You'll be ok, just call them first and find out how much to make the check out.
Old 12-25-2007, 08:42 AM
Dominant Buck

That is a real shame you have to send the rifle in...

I would think if a part gets rusty, fowled or dirty, there must be a way to keep it clean. On my triggers, I spray them with brake cleaner (after I remove them from the barrel/stock of course), then pour some alcohol over them, and finally hit them with a air compressor until they are dry. It seems to work. Then a shot of oil. So far no more crud build up, and I never saw rust yet. I see no reason why that would not work in the assembly you have unless of course it does not come out of the stock.

If I had to have a rifle I could not break down completely, and clean all the parts myself.. it would be on the auction site real fast. Whether it was a CVA, a Thompson Center Arms, or what. In fact I traded off a Jukar pistol for that very reason.That and I got a heck of a trade for it. Maybe that's why I like the older technology rifles.. less moving parts, all parts can be cleaned, and put back together..