Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Who Still Uses Roundballs? >

Who Still Uses Roundballs?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Who Still Uses Roundballs?

Old 12-24-2007, 01:28 PM

Default RE: Who Still Uses Roundballs?

I melt recovered powerbelts, mold them in my .490 RB mold and they mushroom great. The last log i pulled them out of, measured an inch and a half long by a little over 1/2" wide. It was a really nice piece of lead that would have done some major damage on game.

Have to get .530 ball mold for my .54 now!
Old 12-24-2007, 07:45 PM

They're all I've shot, granted I've only owned my CVA Bobcat for a year and haven't had the chance to get after a deer with it yet so I can't tell you how they work for me on game. I began using them at cayugad's suggestion and also due to the price of conicals. Plus since I can consistently send them through the same inch and a half or lesshole that's been punched in my wood I tack the target to I don't really see a reason to change yet. I'm by no means a sharpshooter but like I said, so far I've been happyenough with them that I'm probably not going to change for a while. Why fix what ain't broke?
Old 12-24-2007, 07:56 PM

Donnie. I worked up a load in my cva bobcat, 70 grains pyrodex p, .490 round ball and a .018 pillow ticking patch lubed with bore butter. You should give the pillow ticking a shot, these patches are awesome.
Old 12-25-2007, 01:10 AM

I just realized what a stupid question the effectiveness of3/1000s of an inch was hahaha.

Here's my Bobcat'sload I've settled into for now:

90gr Pyrodex RS
Hornady .49 roundball
.15 precut pillow ticking patch
Bore Butter for lube
and CCI Magnum #11 primers.

I haven't shot any Pyrodex P yet, only the RS. If you can get equal or better performace with less of a charge I am definitely interested. Call me fragile but a range session takes a toll on me (mostly my cheek)with the load up there.