Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 pyrodex or triple seven? >

pyrodex or triple seven?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

pyrodex or triple seven?

Old 12-19-2007, 08:14 AM
Spike

Default pyrodex or triple seven?

I'm brand stinking new to muzzleloading so you're going to see a lot of questions from me in the near future. First one is on powder choice. As both Pyrodex and Triple seven are both made by Hogdon, is there any difference in them other than Triple Seven claims water clean up? Specifically, I'm interested in which powder has the most accuracy potential. Also, I'm not talking about the pellets...only loose powder.

Thanks in advance

-E-
Old 12-19-2007, 08:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: pyrodex or triple seven?

Triple 7 doesn't smell andit cleans easier. They both have been accurate for me!
Old 12-19-2007, 10:12 AM
Boone & Crockett

777 is very accurate and consistent if your gun likes it: My Encore will make very small groups if you thoroughly swab the barrel with two wet patches after every shot. My CVA Magnum Hunter will fire up to five or six rounds to the same place without swabbing when using110 grains of 777 and the 300 grain .44 caliber XTP in the tight fitting black sabot.
Old 12-19-2007, 10:46 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: edelsite

I'm brand stinking new to muzzleloading so you're going to see a lot of questions from me in the near future. First one is on powder choice. As both Pyrodex and Triple seven are both made by Hogdon, is there any difference in them other than Triple Seven claims water clean up? Specifically, I'm interested in which powder has the most accuracy potential. Also, I'm not talking about the pellets...only loose powder.

Thanks in advance

-E-
First off, welcome to the forum and feel free to ask away with the questions. Its the only way to learn I guess.

As for powders, both are great powders. Your rifle will actually tell you what powder it likes best. I have some rifles that shoot best with Pyrodex RS and others that do a better job with Triple Se7en. But I did a lot of testing to learn which is which.

For someone starting out, I would suggest Pyrodex RS. It is powerful, cheaper, and very consistent. And you are not trying to remember, is this the one that is 15% stronger then the other, so how much do I cut my load... Also it will teach you all about swabbing as it does fowl more then Triple Se7en. While Triple Se7en is easier to clean, they all have to be cleaned. If one takes five more minutes, then big deal. Start with one and work up a good accurate load. Then when you have time, experiment with the other.

If you do decide to shoot Triple Se7en 2f over Pyrodex RS, remember, it is approximately 15% stronger then Pyrodex, Black Powder, APP, Shockey Gold, Pinnacle. It is about equal in strength to Pyrodex P and APP 3f. So be sure to adjust your starting out loads accordingly.
Old 12-19-2007, 11:12 AM
Spike

Thanks for the good info. My local Walmart has all their Pyrodex and Trip-7 on clearance for 1/2 price so I'm going to pick up both and experiment a little.