Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Another powder question Pellets and Grans >

Another powder question Pellets and Grans

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Another powder question Pellets and Grans

Old 12-19-2007, 06:23 AM
Spike

Default Another powder question Pellets and Grans

I use pellets now in my Triumph. 100g with 250 gr bullet
If I switch to granular What is the process.
Just pour the correct amount (100G) of powder and load the bullet on top of powder.
How hard do you seat the bullet?
can you seat it to hard?
Old 12-19-2007, 07:41 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Another powder question Pellets and Grans

"Hole hard do you seat the bullet?"

With granular you should bear on the ramrod pretty hard when seating the bullet. You can feel the powder compress.

"can you seat it to hard?"

Probably not.From shot to shot you need to be consistent in the amount of seating pressure. For ease of loading i use awooden furniture knob with a hole for the ramrod: Makes it much easier.
Old 12-19-2007, 07:55 AM
Boone & Crockett

slsail - my best advice to you is when you find a good load you likeand seat your bullet, put a reference mark on your ramrod. Seat to this mark every time.
and you don't have to pound your bullet hard onto the powder. With a clean bore you will feel your bullet contact the charge. Just push down until snug against it.
Old 12-19-2007, 08:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

I seat my bullet firmly and consistently. I dont beat on the bullet for fear of deformation and accuracy loss...
Old 12-19-2007, 09:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

What pellets? I have 4 different ones sitting in my magazine. If it is 777 pellets then they are equal to 100grs of Pyrodex not 100grs of 777. Not real smart but thats the way they did it the mag 777 pellets are not equal to 100grs either. if you are switching to loose 777 from 777 regular pellets try 85 and 90 grs . Lee
Old 12-19-2007, 10:20 AM
Fork Horn

powder grain is a pain in the arsze. I Would only shoot the pellets. Quick, easy, and consistent. 777 are cleaner than pyrodex but cost more. i shoot pyrodex because i clean my gun every time i go out-- if i shoot
Old 12-19-2007, 10:30 AM
Dominant Buck

If your shooting 100 grains of Pyrodex or Triple Se7en pellets and want to go to loose, since the two pellets are approximately equal in strength, yes you would load 100 grains of loose Pyrodex RS. If Pyrodex is what you want to shoot. Personally I would suggest starting your load testing at 90 grains and work up from there. You might find 90 to even 110 grains produce the best accuracy and power for your projectile.

Seating pressures.. I try to move the projectile down the bore of the rifle in one smooth,solid motion, stopping when I feel the projectile seat firmly on the powder. Then I give it just a little grunt of pressure (we are not talking the incredible hulk mind you)harder if it is pyrodex or black powder, leave it alone nice and firm,if I am shooting triple Se7en, and really grunt if I am shooting APP or pinnacle. This is where keeping your bore swabbed, and a quality range rod are of great value as you will discover.
Old 12-19-2007, 10:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bronko22000

slsail - my best advice to you is when you find a good load you likeand seat your bullet, put a reference mark on your ramrod. Seat to this mark every time.
and you don't have to pound your bullet hard onto the powder. With a clean bore you will feel your bullet contact the charge. Just push down until snug against it.
Good advice....

chris