Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Pellets vs. Powder >

Pellets vs. Powder

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Pellets vs. Powder

Old 11-01-2004, 08:37 PM
Fork Horn

Default Pellets vs. Powder

Can you guys tell me the pros and cons of using powder vs. pellets? I heard that the Triple 7 pellets are shooting good, burning clean, and are easy to deal with. I haven't heard much about the Pyrodex stuff. I bought the Triple 7 pellets, what do you guys think I should buy next time?

Joey
Old 11-02-2004, 09:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Pellets vs. Powder

It is really all about Trial and Error with developing your most accurate load. If your gun likes 2 x 50 gr pellets than stick with them. If not, then I would suggest buying some loose T7 and trying to tweak your load to see if you can improve upon the pellet load. I wouldn't bother trying the pyrodex pellets as it is the same charge level (100gr of T7 is the same as 100gr of Pyrodex pellets), just different characteristics (ie: smell, more smoke and more elbow grease when cleaning).

Pellets

Advanatage: ease & same charge
Disadvantage: Cost and limited customization for load developing

Powder

Advanatage: Cheaper and full customization for load developing. In T7 15% more potent than Pyrodex (so 100 gr of T7=115gr Pyrodex)
Disadvantage: requires a bit more effort

Good luck
Old 11-02-2004, 10:27 AM
bigcountry

I got the 777 pellets this year and love em. It will be hard for me to switch back to pyrdex.

Old 11-02-2004, 12:32 PM

For the 777 users, have you noticed any buildup in the barrel that makes loading a 2nd load harder. I was going to try the 777 pellets, but didn't because a friend of mine said that he noticed more build up in the barrel when reloading.

Any thoughts.
Old 11-02-2004, 01:28 PM
Typical Buck

Yes! You are referring to the 777 crud ring. This has been discussed to no end. Basically you need to use the least powerful primer you can. If you have a rifle that can be converted back to musket caps go that way. If you can only use 209 primers try to go to the coolest which has been noted as CCI However some are reporting accuracy problems with CCI Primers. I would recommed Winchester as they worked as good for me as any. There are conversions available to switch from 209 to a .25ACP piece of brass with a rifle primer installed. Expensive and a bit more problem but it pretty much solves the severe crud ring. I have the conversion and it works. Other option is to eliminate the 777 and try the new Black Mag3 powder which is working great for me so far. It is difficult to find but Midsouth Shooters Supply has it but it requires a $20.00 Hazmat fee so team up with a lot of guys and buy alot at once. If you want to talk more email me at: [email protected]
Old 11-02-2004, 02:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have heard lots talk about the crud ring but have never experienced it in my Rem 700. I have used both loose and pellet forms of T7 with winchester 209 primers, I swab between each shot with a windex/water solution and dry patch..GTG. I don't bore butter, wonder lube or anything similar in my bore, just clean with hot water, dry patch it, light oil and a few dry patchs to remove the oil prior to firing.

Not sure if I am just lucky or what, just haven't had a prob with T7!
Old 11-02-2004, 02:24 PM
Typical Buck

With a swab between shots this is not a big problem. I think the majority of the guys that are complaining are expecting to be able to load a couple of shots without a swab between. I know I wanted to do that for follow-up shots on elk if needed. I hunt alone and cannot let them get too far from where I shoot them since I don't want to retrieve them from the bottom of a canyon. Second shots are possible without the swab but not with 777 in my rifle. The powder ring is apparent even with a swab however and is heavier than with other powders in my rifle. I have had my best luck with Winchester primers also. I tried CCI which are supposed to be less of a problem but my accuracy suffered at least on the first attempt.
Old 11-02-2004, 03:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

This past weekend on Saturday while hunting I took 3 shoots with loose T7 which equaled 2 coyotes and 1 deer (in that order). Never swabbed between shots, Sunday I cleaned it and no ring!!! I guess I must be lucky[8D].
Old 11-02-2004, 08:34 PM

Never swabbed between shots, Sunday I cleaned it and no ring!!! I guess I must be lucky
Went to the range over the w/end , 7 shots , no swabs, no ring. 777 loose , guess I'm lucky too
Old 11-02-2004, 09:02 PM
Typical Buck

I must be getting my 777 from a bad source. If I don't swab between shots the second will not seat on the powder even with a hammer. I have had to take the rifle apart to unload it. Biggest problem is with sabots. Powerbelts are a lot easier to load. You guys didn't mention the bullet that you are using. I have shot three in a row with Black Mag3 and sabots but never with loose 777 or 777 pellets. Sure would be nice as 777 is a little more available since Walmart has started stocking it.

Quick Reply: Pellets vs. Powder

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.