Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Which powder/pellets are best? >

Which powder/pellets are best?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Which powder/pellets are best?

Old 11-02-2005, 01:17 PM

Default Which powder/pellets are best?

What is your opinion on what pellet or powder to use & why? I have heard good/bad for both.
Old 11-02-2005, 02:45 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Which powder/pellets are best?

It’s what ever works for you. Everybody ask this question and gets different answers. I no people that will say that what I shoot won’t work for them, and then I know people that say what I shoot is the only thing they will shoot. But anyways I shoot triple seven (granular) and Precision Rile Dead Centers.
Old 11-02-2005, 02:54 PM

My experience so far is that when it comes to pellets, the Pyrodex are hard to beat. I also think that pellets are the way to go if you want to load more than 120 grains of powder. The hole through the middle allows for a level of burning efficiency and consistency that is not provided with the loose powders.

The loose powders are cheaper and allow the shooter more flexibility in tuning loads. It seems that just about all of them have a following . . . I want to try some Black Mag 3, but am trying to avoid a hazmat charge. I would also like to try some Jim Shockey Gold fffg- maybe this winter. Pyrodex RS is a perfectly good BP substitute. Lots of shooters use nothing but Triple 7. And don't overlook regular Goex black powder. It is dirty, but there are a lot of other things to like about it.

It's going to take you the rest of your life to try them all and figure out which ones your gun likes best.
Old 11-02-2005, 05:01 PM
Dominant Buck

I agree .. it is what shoots best out of your rifle. I have never shot pellets out of my rifle but intend to in the very near future. Until then I shoot lots of loose Goex. The stuff works great.
Old 11-02-2005, 05:07 PM

I get the best accuracey out of my omega by using a 200gr. shockwave and 120gr. of 777 ffg.
Old 11-03-2005, 06:23 AM

It's just that I have read a bunch of things saying this one has less fouling then that or this one gets better pressures built up. I mean a manufacturer is gonna say there product is the best thing since sliced bread but when you try it you realize the truth. I do have some Pyrodex pwoder left but heard from many that pellets are the way to go. I know powder is more flexible in the load you want but would like something that would more simple, quicker to load & a better shot with less fouling. I know probably asking for to much. But hey I am only human. Thanks for the input guys.
Old 11-03-2005, 10:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

but would like something that would more simple, quicker to load & a better shot with less fouling.
Please let us know when you find the holy grail!

Like said whatever works for you in all facets is the best, you'll find each have positives and negatives associated with them. I have used both loose and pellets, while the pellets worked and are great for hunting(loading, carry, etc reasons)they were limiting and expensive, so I stick with loose as I am more concerned about my first shot than any other.

Have you tried the 777 pellets? They are cleaner, easy, no sulphur smelland IME shot well (like the pyrodex pellets).

I have never experienced the crud ring with 777, so right now that is my choicefor powder.
Old 11-12-2005, 07:20 PM

YOU JUST GOTTA GO AND GET DIFF. POWDERS. DIFF
BULLETS HEAD OUT TO THE RANGE, TAKE NOTES OF
POWDER/BULLET COMBINATIONS. YOU HAVE GOT TO
DO YOUR HOMEWORK, DON'T SHOOT ONE OR TWO
THEN GIVE UP. KEEP AT IT UNTILL YOU FIND WHAT
WORKS FOR YOU. ALSO DON'T FORGET TO TRY YOUR
COMBINATION IN DIFF TEMPS & WEATHER COMBINATIONS
GOOD LUCK KEEP US POSTED.
Old 11-12-2005, 10:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Pyrodex for pellets

777 for loose powder
Old 11-15-2005, 09:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

So far, I've only shot pyro pellets with my Encore. Doesn't seem to burn too clean. My first wet patch comes out completely black. It takes 3 or 4 to get anywhere near cleared up. On the range I run a couple wet patches followed by a couple dry ones. Also shot a 209 cap to clear out any cleaner in the breech plug.

I'm going to try the 777 pellets my next time at the range to see if they burn cleaner. I'm also interested in trying some powder.

Quick Reply: Which powder/pellets are best?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.