Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Barnes bullet performance,, Outstanding!!! >

Barnes bullet performance,, Outstanding!!!

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Barnes bullet performance,, Outstanding!!!

Old 12-13-2007, 09:07 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Barnes bullet performance,, Outstanding!!!

If I remember correctly it was a green sabot
Couldn't blame you if you tried to forget. The green would be for the 44 that I'm using. Hm.
Old 12-13-2007, 09:20 PM
Boone & Crockett

yeoman

You are probably not going to like this, but early on I was using 300 grain XTP's and XTP Mags. They performed very well for beyond 75/80 yards on deer - but in close they would pass right through like they failed to expand. They are a very tough bullet. The opposit was true on thicker skinned elk - they opened up just fine - in fact the lead came right out of the copper... thats when I went back to Noslers for hunting and now Gold Dots. I beleive either the .452 250 or 300 grain Gold Dot will work great on deer. Chap has used the 300 very succesfully and Lee swears by the 250"s - I would use the 250's on deer - equals instant opening and they are bonded... I have posted these pic before but I'll post it here just for reference. I have two pics to show you so it will take two posts...

1st pic - Gold Dots...

Old 12-13-2007, 09:22 PM
Boone & Crockett

and here is the second with Hornady's....

Shooting into a wet clay bank is not equal to shooting into an animal - just keep that in mind - but some of the Hornady's cam apart - none of the Gold Dots...

Old 12-14-2007, 05:52 AM
Fork Horn

Yep, I know a bunch of people love them. Sounds like I was just simply too close and they weren't able to do their work. Thanks, Greg
Old 12-14-2007, 12:40 PM
Fork Horn

The XTPs also shed there jacket when shot into wet newspaper. I lost a nice buck 4 years ago with a 300 gr XTP out of my 44 mag (1430 fps). It was a 35 yd, broad side, shot and the deer went right down. It layed there for a few seconds and jumped up an ran like it wasn't touched. I know the bullet didn't pass through because what little blood there was, wasonly on one side of the tracks (the side I hit him on). Tracked him for about 1/4 mile when he went into a swamp with waist deep water. It was a nice eight point (I felt sick).
Old 12-14-2007, 03:13 PM
Fork Horn

Hey, I'm not trying to get everyone is a pi**ing contest here, lol. I was just reporting my experience. Thanks for the input everyone. Looks like we (and our rifles) all like something a little different. Take care, Greg