Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Scope issue on CVA Optima Pro >

Scope issue on CVA Optima Pro

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Scope issue on CVA Optima Pro

Old 12-03-2007, 07:06 AM
Fork Horn

Default Scope issue on CVA Optima Pro

I have a CVA Optima Pro muzzleloader and put a Leupold Vari-X 3x9 scope on it with Millet bases and rings. I am using the long rings for hammer clearence. I am shooting 1 inch low at 30 yards and the scope will not adjust up any more. Is there a cheap fix for this? Somoene suggested a shim. Please explain any fixes.

Otherwise, after bore lapping using JB paste, using 100 grains 777 with a 260 grain nosler partion HP and MMP sabots, this thing is a tack driver at 30 yards so far and is nice and easy to load.
Old 12-03-2007, 08:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Scope issue on CVA Optima Pro

Turn in rings or Weaver style? Two-piece base? Shimming is going to put torque on the scope tube if using two-piece bases.

If the rings are Weaver style, try swapping the front ring to the back position.
Old 12-03-2007, 08:30 AM
Fork Horn

Weaver style with 2 piece base.
Old 12-03-2007, 11:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would suggest first trying the ring swap ... forward to aft, aft to forward. If that doesn't help, some Burris Signature Zee rings with the offset inserts would probably be your best bet.
Old 12-03-2007, 12:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

You didn't say, is this a brand new scope or one that has been on another gun? If it's been on another gun then it may have ran out of adjustment. Just my 2 cents..
Old 12-03-2007, 03:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

sjsfire - whut?
Old 12-03-2007, 03:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Underclocked

sjsfire - whut?

If the scope he has was mounted on another gun before he mounted it on his Optimawould there be a possibility that he ran out of adjustment on the scope.
?? Just trying to throw out ideas why he can't adjust the crosshairs for his point of aim. Hope I'm explaining this right. Otherwise, I'll shut up....
Old 12-04-2007, 12:58 PM
Fork Horn

rand new scope or one that has been on another gun? If it's been on another gun then it may have ran out of adjustment. Just my 2 cents..
It was on my .270 that I don't use. What difference does it make if it was on another gun? I mean. There is not any adjustment on the bases or mounts. It goes on in one spot regardless of where it was sighted in on the last gun, you have to use the scope adjustments to resight for the new gun. What I mean is, once the bases and rings are tightened down, you can't adjust them and the scope is mounted in the same spot regardless.