Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

remington genesis

Old 11-28-2007, 09:44 AM
Typical Buck

Default remington genesis

Any feedback on the genesis? Pro's, con's. They are on sale for $240. Is there a better bp for less than $250. I shoot a $99 Cva staghorn. No commplaints. Just wondering about the genesis.
Old 11-28-2007, 09:48 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: remington genesis

Just this weekend I saw those on sale for $215.00 but I can't remember where it was. I'll post it when I remember. I know a guy that had one but he sold it. Not sure why.
Old 11-28-2007, 11:04 AM
Dominant Buck

I'd stick with the CVA Staghorn Magnum and save my money and then later on down the road, get me a really good rifle. Not that the Remington Genesis is not a good rifle, but the Remington name means nothing, it is nothning more then a Tradition's Yukon with perhaps a better fit to the stock or a better shine on the barrel. I saw hunting shows on TV where they were shooting the Remington and they workedfine, I just do not like the actions. Underclocked had one and sold it. After we worked it over and actually I guess made the rifle rather tuned..
Old 11-28-2007, 11:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

From my experience the Genesis isn't very well liked on this board. I understand their complaints about them-some of which are justified in that it has a heavier trigger than some guns (mine is about 3 1/2 lbs), but don't think it should be discarded as an option. I have one and love it. In fact, unless something crazy happens it'll be my last inline for a long time. (Unless someone wants to give me a Knight KP1 ) I've yet to find anything that I shove down it that it won't shoot. I can clean it in about 3-5 min if need be and yeah maybe it isn't a "true" Remington but it shoulders just like one. And I love the "torch cam", its very natural to me. That's my $0.02.
Old 11-28-2007, 11:36 AM
Typical Buck

I would wait, save your moneyand pick up a Thompson/Center or Knight that feels the best to you.
Old 11-28-2007, 08:24 PM

TNHagies, I am glad you chimed in. No disrespect to everyone else, but it is good to hear from someone who has actually shot or owned one.

I have done quit a bit of research on this one myself, and found that everyone who has negative to say about it, has not actually shot, handled, owned one etc... however, everyone who has owned one, shot one, etc... has good things to say.

Reason I am chiming in, is because my wife just picked one up for me at Cabelas here in Reno, Nevada for $189.00. Great discountssince they just opened last week.

Jason Baden
Reno Off-Road
Old 11-29-2007, 12:10 AM
Typical Buck

There's also a $35 rebate currently availabledirectly fromRemingtonon Genesis rifles purchasedfrom 8/1/07through 12/31/07.

OooLaLa! This really sweetens up the deal!

Old 11-30-2007, 12:11 PM
Typical Buck

Sorry, should have added...

Own several ML's of different variety. Have shot many different MFG ML's.

Handled ,but not firedthe Rem Genensis = Seems ok. Nothing spectacular, fit and finish were average.

Handled and shot the Tradtions Yukon = Seems ok. Nothing spectacular, fit and finish were average. Did shoot pretty well.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and who's buying.

For my money and based on experience, I would still rather have a T/C or Knight even for a few dollars more.

m2c

Tahquamenon
Old 11-30-2007, 01:04 PM
Dominant Buck

For $259.00 Cabela's sells a stainless steel NEF Sidekick. From all I have heard about that rifle, great out of the box accuray, excellent trigger, and with the break open design easy to clean. The draw back is it does require a primer holder as I understand it. They also are supposed to shoot conicals as well as sabots with excellent results. That would be my choice. If Stainless steel is not that important, you can get them closer to $179.00 which I think is a great deal.