Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

meat week

Old 11-23-2007, 10:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default meat week

is doe centerfire season in VA (week long on privet land) starts tomarrow, even though I am taking my 30 -06, I am also taking my ML which my be use anyway (30 -06 is the gun I missed with last year). wish me luck.

going with my bother in law (marlin 44 mag) and his son (cva wolf)

me and the young one is both still looking for our first deer.

Good luck, be safe, keep warm.
Old 11-24-2007, 05:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: meat week

Good luck to you!
Our gun season opens Monday here in Ohio. I'll be using a .50 muzzleloader, just haven't decided which one yet. [&:]
Old 11-24-2007, 11:26 AM
Dominant Buck

Good luck to you. Remember to calm down and make the first shot count and you should be fine.

I was talking on the phone to a friend of mine last night about deer hunting. He missed a very nice buck he said. I asked him if he was sure he missed and he laughed and said, no doubt, right between its legs. He is what we call, a shaker. When he sees a deer he starts to shake uncontrollably almost. He's backside looks like a 8 week old puppy's happy to see you home again.

I have watched him miss deer that I could have taken with a good rock. He shot a nice buck a few years back perfect. Dropped it in it's tracks. When I was helping him get the deer out of the woods I asked him why he took a spine shot when the buck was broadside. It was kind of chancy I thought. He then smiles and said, I was aiming for the heart.
Old 11-24-2007, 02:49 PM
Fork Horn

Good Luck corey - I'd second the motion to take a deep breath let it out slowly, and then keep breathing when you see a deer.
Dave - you reminded me ofa nice buck I shot a number of years back. I was on a hill and he was walking around the edge of a swamp. I aimed where I always aim - to put the bullet through the heart/lung area. I hit him in the neck about 6" from the head. He dropped right away, of course, but when my buddy came over, he said, "Nice shot!" I said "Thanks"

Old 11-24-2007, 07:55 PM
Fork Horn

Good luck. A dozen or so years back I made a hell of a running shot on a buck and got him right in the boiler room. My hunting buddy was impressed (still talks about it) and I have never had the heart to tell him it was fluk. That was the last running shot I took. I think I have never taken another because it would prove to him that it was dumb ass luck.