Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

DEAD CENTER

Old 11-19-2007, 07:16 PM
Typical Buck

Default DEAD CENTER

have been using the DEAD CENTER BULLET .260 gr. for a while ,very accurate in the summer ,but as soon as the temperature went cold they were no more good ..i use T7 powder [100 gr. ] and was very disappointed. .i have a ROSSI 50 cal ...so i switched over toT/C shockwave .250 gr. and they are tighter in the barrel and they are very accurate at 100 yards ..the HORNADY SST [red nylon tip] seem to be the same as the SHOCKWAVE .
Old 11-19-2007, 07:35 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: DEAD CENTER

The Hornady SST and the Shockwave are the same bullet. Just a different colored tip is all and the sabots are different when you purchase them prepackaged. Other then that I have been reading some good responces so far with the Shockwave. I wonder why the Dead Center went bad on you like that? Anyone else have an experience like that? I am wondering if some of mine will do that.
Old 11-19-2007, 08:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

When the sabot gets cold it gets stiff Dead centers are pure lead and very soft if you start mutilating them when you are loading them they will get very eratic, I think its better to us jacketed bullets when its cold. Lee
Old 11-20-2007, 12:59 AM

Last season I took a button buck at 100 yards with a 250 grain shockwave. I shot the shoulder useing 777 FFg at 90 gr. passed clean through, both lungd and the bottom of the heart, left a hole about 3-3.5 inches on the exit side. I shoot a winchester Apex topped with a vxII 3-9x40. I was very pleased. was shooting touching groups at 100 more often than not. this year, i could not get the thing to group to save my life. I have to admit it was much colder when i started last year. i have switched to 110 gr 777 FFg and a XTP 300gr. respectable groups at 200. it got cooler and i am losing the groups. it will be warm tomorrow so i am gonna stick with the xtp hopefully i can at least say how they preform on an actual deer. hard to know why the shockwaves just quit grouping. wish i knew. any ideas? not to steal the thread, but a lot of good advice seems to come out of the fellas that have posted here.

thanks
Old 11-20-2007, 05:13 AM
Typical Buck

i think ,that if the bullet is very easy to load ,and the temperature drops you will lose acuracy ..i swap my barrel after each shot [i have noticed that the muzzleloader likes a clean barrel ] i now use the T/C SHOCKWAVE it fits much tighter in my ROSSI ...also i can get 20 HORNADY SST but only 15 T/C SHOCKWAVE for the same price ,why ?????????