Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Dead Center or QT bullets? >

Dead Center or QT bullets?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Dead Center or QT bullets?

Old 12-07-2005, 06:35 PM
Fork Horn

Default Dead Center or QT bullets?

I am thinking of trying these with my Winchester Apex 209 muzzzleloader. I have been using 245gr. Powerbelts with 2-50gr. 777 pellets and I am not satisfied with the accuracy I'm getting. The one thing I do like about the Powerbelts is the easy loading. I have tried other saboted bullets in the past with other muzzleloaders and they all loaded very hard. Has anyone tried the Dead Center or QT in their Winchseter/CVA muzzleloaders, if so what are your findings? Do they load hard, what kind of groups are you getting, and what grain bullets are you using? I see they make some for 50 caliber as light as 180gr. Any response would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Craig.
Old 12-07-2005, 06:48 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Dead Center or QT bullets?

DB-I have shot QT's and Dead centers.I did not find them anymore accurate than Hornady's-just more expensive.Your results may vary according to your powder,rifle,etc. I am shooting SST/250gr right now and am very pleased with the terminal results.

Charlie
Old 12-07-2005, 07:00 PM
Fork Horn

dbblung,
You like the way the Power Belts load, but you don't like the accuracy you are getting. Why don't you try the 295gr. or 348gr.Power Belts?
I've had very good results with the 348gr aero tip in several of my rifles.
The Dead Centers and QT's are good too, but you still need to find the correct weight and powder charge.
That's what makes this so much fun.....shooting!
Old 12-07-2005, 07:07 PM

I switched to the cabela's ones that are basically QT's. I went from hornady XTP 300 grn to the 350 grn QT's and they shoot much better at 150 yards for me. Both were pretty good at 100 yards, but the Hornady's fell apart after that.

I like the QT's because they are not a jacketed bullet designed for a handgun. I think the lead QT's with the polymer tip will perform better on deer, but I haven't shot one with them yet. I switched to a slug gun this year and tagged out on opening day.

I haven't shot the SST's either though. I actually wanted a longer heavier bullet for longer range accuracy and a softer bullet.

Paul