Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Italian made Hawkin Rifle >

Italian made Hawkin Rifle

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Italian made Hawkin Rifle

Old 11-12-2007, 09:40 AM
Spike

Default Italian made Hawkin Rifle

I have a Italian made 50 caliber Hawkin style muzzle loader and was wondering who makes it. I can't find any name on it, it just says made in Italy with a capital letter I stamped into the barrel with a box around it. Any info will be appretiated.
Old 11-12-2007, 10:10 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Italian made Hawkin Rifle

gregorybraswell

It sounds like Investarms of Italy - they make Lymans and the Cabelas Hawkin style ML's...
Old 11-12-2007, 10:26 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Italian made Hawkin Rifle

If the letter is a "P" it might be a David Pedersolli but most likely it is an Investarms. If there is a brass patch box it was probably sold through Cabela's. Normally the Lyman have their information on the barrel so I am guessing this is a very old rifle.

"Hawkins" style means a lot of different things to different people. Some are more the Great Plains style, some are the fancy Hawkins style with the fancy brass, and others are the plain jane types like the Renegade and the Trade Rifle. All of them are good shooters.

Italian made rifles are good rifles. The rifle you have probably has a 1-48 twist but you might want to check it. It should shoot patched roundball well. Being a .50 caliber a .490 ball will work fine with a .015-.018 patch. They like powder so if it seems to be taking a heavy charge before it tunes in, that is normal.

Give it a good cleaning, check the rifle over close. And have fun.