Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 My first ML deer taken Saturday >

My first ML deer taken Saturday

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

My first ML deer taken Saturday

Old 11-06-2007, 04:02 PM

Default RE: My first ML deer taken Saturday

Congrats HighSierra. I hope I do as well this year as I'll be hunting with my inline for all seasons and hope to get my first ML deer.

My first hunt this year I could have taken a nice 10 pointer from 30 yards. Unfortunately the area I'm hunting requires a doe be taken first grrrr - then I can go for a buck.
Old 11-06-2007, 04:21 PM
Boone & Crockett

Way to go. Congrats on the nice deer.
Old 11-07-2007, 09:09 AM

You would be shocked.

Biggest deer I have ever got horns and body wise was this week. Unfortunately it was with the front bumper of the truck not a ML.

Ran out in front of me at 60MPH. Caught his head with my passenger side grill. Shoulders hit the bumper. On impact the body was swung around so hard into the side of my F-350 Crew Cab diesel his hind quarters smashed my passenger side mirror through the window. Dented the heck out of the front fender and door.

So he was jumping over a about 5 foot tall fence into the road way. Landed just as I hit him. Knocked him into the fence. By the time I had got the truck stopped he had actually collected himself off of the fence in the ditch and ran off.

Blacktail Buck. 21" spread. 5X5 huge. Was over 24" tall off of the top of his head. Found him after a day and a half of looking through the brush for him. Was rather decomposed all ready.

Heck a 7700# truck and a hard hit to the head did not anchor him. Ran off.

I have noticed short of breaking both front shoulders they have a ton of adreniline. Only a couple animals I have ever shot with a ML have dropped in thier tracks. Granted I hunt in WA state where we can only use all lead bullets and no scopes. Short of breaking both front shoulders the only other shots I have seen anchor animals of mine are spine/ central nervous system shutdown shots. Neck and otherwise. I say that bullet did a heck of a job and Powerbelts will for sure not do any better. Because of the all lead thing a lot of guys here use the powerbelt all leads. My father in law lost a deer this year with one. I use the Precision Rifles and have been more than happy with them. This year I will try the 340 on Elk for the first time.
Old 11-07-2007, 02:49 PM
Dominant Buck

WTG......Good Job......Congrat's