Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Whats The JB Method???? >

Whats The JB Method????

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Whats The JB Method????

Old 11-02-2007, 02:23 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Whats The JB Method????

i use a brass brush wrapped in 0000 steelwool,it will not srcatch the bore as long as you keep it coated well with JB , i've use 0000SW to clean glass for years.

Old 11-02-2007, 04:47 PM
Fork Horn

I have seen a few ways to do it.

One is pretty much wrapping your bore brush with a patch and doing the 200 stroke method.

I have seen where you can shoot maxi-ball type projectiles and clean with J-B every few shots. I'm sure you could also shoot PRBs with some JB paste on the patch, but a PRB in a sabot gun you will want to load much lower powder volume, like 60 grains.

What I have read is that you should not use a staight copper brush when doing this method. I'm not the expert on this, but I have read quite a bit on it. Evidently copper brushes will leave copper in the barrel when your using JB paste. You can wrap a bore brush with ticking or a patch or two to avoid this. I'm sure some fine steel wool would only help polish it up much faster.

DO NOT stick one end of your ramrod into a power drill and try to shortcut this method. This will probably ruin your barrell. You want the ramrod end to follow the rifleing groves as much as possible.
Old 11-02-2007, 05:33 PM

Yes,you can use the JB Paste for patch lube and smooth out your bore. Some call it "fire lapping the bore". You need not concern yourself with shooting out the barrel,it would take allot. I prefer the lapping compound on a jag,or brush and running about 200 passes up and down the bore= (1 pass).
Old 11-02-2007, 05:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

What is being refered to is lapping a barrel, the totally correct way to do it is to pour a lead slug in the barrel put lapping compound on it and polish the barrel, this pratice dates back to pioneer days when the barrel was cut by hand and had to be polished with in reasonable limits to be usable.
The othe correct [as in traditional] way is called fire lapping that is to rub your polishing compound into patches or mix it with grease and shoot in on a PRB or pure lead conical.
One of the things you should know is that it removes metal from the barrel and if it is not done correctly and it does not remove the same amount of metal from the bottom of the rifling as from the surface of the bore it will shorten the accuracy life of the barrel.
If the barrel has been rusted up,or has roughspots in it isnormally the reason for lapping. If it is a brand new barrel and has burrs or slight rough spots a small amout of fire lapping might be indicated.
WARNING remember over doing or getting anything out of round will ruin a barrel. Lee