Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Whats The JB Method???? >

Whats The JB Method????

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Whats The JB Method????

Old 11-01-2007, 07:11 AM
Spike

Default Whats The JB Method????

I've read in previous posts, people taking about using the JB method in their barrels. Could somebody tell me what this is? Where do you get the JB. Thanks
Old 11-01-2007, 07:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Whats The JB Method????

ORIGINAL: Sewerdude

I've read in previous posts, people taking about using the JB method in their barrels. Could somebody tell me what this is? Where do you get the JB. Thanks
SEWER, I am assuming they are referring to the use of JB Compound to clean or polish up the bores of their rifles. You get JB Compound from Brownell's. http://www.brownells.com/aspx/ns/store/catsearch.aspx?c=133&p=4795

It is a paste containing a very mild, non-imbedding abrasive. You use it on an oiled tight-fitting patch, and it will remove any lead, plastic, or other fouling from your bore. In addition, it will also polish up the steel that the barrel is made from, after removing the crud from the bore.

It will NOT damage the bore. But you have to be careful how much poishing you do to a ML barrel. Don't polish up the bore of a round-ball gun-they shoot better with a slightly rough bore. The patch material alone will smooth up the bore until finally accuracy goes down the tubes. But this takes literally thousands of shots!
Old 11-01-2007, 06:17 PM
Spike

Thanks! Is this something that you have to order, or is it common for gun stores to carry it (Cabelas)?
Old 11-01-2007, 07:25 PM
Typical Buck

It is fairly common for a gun store to carry it. Mine does. If the store has a group of bench rest shooters they will likely have JB as the BR guys use it quite a bit. I used some on a patch over a brass brush in my stainless Omega that was very difficult to load with any sabot/bullet combinations I could find at the time (about three years ago). I ran 200 passes up and down changing patches and adding JB paste about every 25 passes. After this procedure the rifle loads about 80% better and the accuracy seems to be as good or better than before. You can accomplish the same thing by shooting about 200 rounds of a solid lead conical (I just did not have the time to do that and wanted to get on my hunt). In my opinion stainless barrels tend to be a little rougher than blued steel barrels and knowing what I do about machinability of stainless I believe that to be true.
Old 11-01-2007, 08:34 PM
Typical Buck

Keith

I've been meaning to thank you for your 200-stroke advice. I've used it on my three 45cal disc elites, and it is just about perfect! Much faster than shooting conicals, and VERY gentile on the bore

I whole heartily endorse this method above all break-in styles. I will never use valve-lapping compound on ANYNEW rifles again. Save that heavy stuff for rusty bore restorations
Old 11-01-2007, 09:26 PM

I checked the local store and no paste available but they did have T/C Cheapshots (sabots with lead bullet) ,would I be better off breaking in with these or using my T/C Maxi Balls from my Hawken
Old 11-01-2007, 09:44 PM
Typical Buck

Maxi balls
Old 11-01-2007, 10:13 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: bigpappa

I checked the local store and no paste available but they did have T/C Cheapshots (sabots with lead bullet) ,would I be better off breaking in with these or using my T/C Maxi Balls from my Hawken
Does not matter what the bullet is made of if it is in a sabot. The plasic will not polish the bore like lead contact. Use the Maxi-balls; not anything in a sabot. Powerbelts will work but are way too expensive to use just for bore polishing. Actually patched round balls will also work and are the cheapest.
Old 11-01-2007, 11:52 PM
Fork Horn

I got mine at Cabela's they have it at their stores .
Charlie
Old 11-02-2007, 05:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

I believe I've read of people using patched round ball loads with the polishing compound on the patches they use to load & shoot to polish a bore.
Is this recommended?????

Quick Reply: Whats The JB Method????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.