Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Loose stock part 2 >

Loose stock part 2

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Loose stock part 2

Old 10-30-2007, 11:40 AM
Fork Horn

Default Loose stock part 2

I tightened my stock and shot it this morning. It was only 50 yards, so i do need to get out again and raise it , i got rained out after 6 sgots.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v636/rgkempton/Muzzle%20loaders/DSCN0019-1.jpg
Old 10-30-2007, 01:14 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Loose stock part 2

WOW!! that is some great shooting.

I have a Bushnell Trophy RED DOT on my CVA Staghorn Magnum. It works really good for me out to about 75 yards. After that the group starts to open a little more then I like. But with shooting like that, you're all set.
Old 10-30-2007, 01:44 PM
Fork Horn

I also have the Bushnell trophy . I am looking at getting the 1x by TC or the Nikon Buckmaster 1x. I looked at both yesterday and like the nikon better . It was way clearer than the TC . We can only use 1x scopes here in Utah .

Yesterday with a loose stock , I could not get a 10' group at50yards !
Old 10-30-2007, 01:51 PM
Dominant Buck

I havea Nikon 1X on a Bison and a T/C 1X on a Renegade with a GMB. We have the same restrictions in Wisconsin. No magnification. I am not sure which scope I like better. The T/C is cheaper by about thirty dollars. And it is very clear and easy to focus. But the Nikon is a Nikon. It is clear and tuff. I'd hate to live on the difference though.
Old 10-30-2007, 03:19 PM
Fork Horn

From what i understand theNikon is water proof and the TC is not . Do you know ??
Old 10-30-2007, 03:29 PM
Dominant Buck

The Thompson Center is recoil proof. I already proved one was not water proof. I was shooting with it in the rain one afternoon to basically test the scope. Well the next day, the lens was fogged over completly. I mailed the scope back to Thompson Center and they mailed me a new one, no questions asked.

The Nikon Buckmaster 1X is shockproof, fog proof, and recoil proof. Also it was recommended as the best 1X scope by my gunsmith. Even though it is 20mm VS 32mm. He explained that the light transmission ability of the Nikon lens, is so high, that in low light, I would never notice the difference in brightness between the two scopes. He also sells the Thompson Center. So for the second rifle, I got the Nikon. I guess after the Thompson Center failed me, I never felt 100% comfortable with it. Although, I credit Thompson Center for their fast responce and no questions guarantee.