Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Upland Bird Hunting
 anybody have hunting season left? >

anybody have hunting season left?

Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

anybody have hunting season left?

Old 01-04-2005, 11:09 AM

Default anybody have hunting season left?

We have another 2 weeks of season left here in Colorado. I will be headed out on Thursday morning, it's snowing now and supposed to let up tomorrow afternoon. Bird hunting has been great. There have been a good number of wild flushers but seemed to get a limit most of the time. I hope the snow will bunch them up and they hold tighter. If the season had to end today I would be foolish to complain, I have had a very good season here in Colorado along with trips to South Dakota, Utah, and Nebraska on various bird hunts. I have been out a total of 32 days so far and am somwhat looking forward to it ending and getting focused on field trials again. Good luck to those that still have season left.
Old 01-04-2005, 11:25 AM

Default RE: anybody have hunting season left?

I am done but had a great season in Iowa, Nebraska, Kansas for upland and Nebraska for waterfowl.
Old 01-04-2005, 03:54 PM

I've only got about 5 more months (the dry season) to go before I've got to shut it down.

El Gringo
Old 01-05-2005, 03:55 PM

I've got until February 28th here in Kentucky, but am heading to AZ this Saturday. Have had a great season with hunts in Michigan (woodcock and ruffs), Oregon (chukar, pheasant, ruffs, ducks, mountain and valley quail) and Kentucky (doves, bobwhites, woodcock, ducks and ruffs). Would like to get the AZ quail slam, which would mean the US slam, but I am not counting on it. This late in the season the birds area probably very skittish and the weather lately (rain) has been unusual.
Old 01-06-2005, 02:48 PM

Up until the end of Jan here in England. Good bags this year anyone?
Old 01-07-2005, 04:30 PM

we have till like feb. 9 on rabbits and squirrel and phesants
Old 01-08-2005, 12:11 AM
Typical Buck

I have until the 15th or 16th of January here for wild birds. I'm not working next week though so I'm going to hit it fairly hard if my older dog can handle it!
Old 01-08-2005, 03:57 PM

Went out this past Thursday just after the snow storm. Birds were holding very tight. I must have been no more than 2' from a bush that my dog was telling me there was a bird in there. My first thought was no way, I backed up trusting her and it took her a minute or two but sure enough a rooster burst of out there. That's how the entire day went. Birds only got up maybe 3' above the cover and I didn't dare shoot with my dogs hot on it's tail. The only thing I can guess why they weren't getting up was they were pretty wet. Managed to bag 2 though. Had to work Sat. and Sun. this weekend. No way out of it. I'll be heading out on Saturday for the last weekend. That will be are last outing as the season ends that Sunday night. Man how time flys when you are having fun.
Old 01-11-2005, 07:37 PM

I still have about a month left to hunt. It has been a good year for snipe but a poor year for waterfowl.

SH

Old 01-17-2005, 09:28 AM

Colorado season is over as of Sunday. Went out Saturday and Sunday. I was surprised to see as many hunters as I did, must have been a lot of last weekend fever going on. 2 birds each day. Had to work very hard for birds each day, the extra hunting pressure kept them out of the roosting fields from dusk to dawn. Saturday evening was a good highlight when I had all 3 dogs out and we put up 9 hens right before dark. Dogs had a blast with that and I had fun also, the anticipation of a rooster coming out of those hens was tense, they came up one at a time as they were holding very tight. A cat got into the back of my truck and took my birds Sat. night in the motel parking lot, I could see cat tracks on my truck in the frost. All in all it has been a good year, there are still the days that I should have a limit early only to see roosters escape 2 shots from my shot gun screaming at me the whole way out. For the most part my dogs did great this year and it has been invaluable for my pup this year hunting as much as we did. It will be nice to finally stay home for a weekend............. unless I try to find some geese somewhere... hmmm. We have about a 3 week break before field trials start up hot and heavy and we'll be after it again, at least my wife and kid enjoy going to them with me. Good luck to all

Quick Reply: anybody have hunting season left?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.