Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

For Floridians

Old 10-09-2007, 10:24 AM
Dominant Buck

Default For Floridians

Oct. 4. 2007 FWC has banned the use of the CVA Electra black powder rifle, also the use of nitro-cellulose powder. Questions can be answered by FWC Capt. John Miller or Capt. Rob Beaton (850) 922-9022.
Old 10-09-2007, 10:26 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: For Floridians

Rebel Hog -- that does not surprise me. I think a lot of States are looking at the new battery operated technology as one step closer to a center fire. I kind of expected this to happen. The powder thought?? What brands of powder does that include, does it say?
Old 10-09-2007, 10:37 AM

booooooo Pooh on florida. Its still a muzzleloader! Its those smokeless shooters that shouldnt be allowed....
Old 10-09-2007, 11:22 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: frontier gander

booooooo Pooh on florida. Its still a muzzleloader! Its those smokeless shooters that shouldnt be allowed....
Frontier Gander.. this might sound strange but I have less of a problem accepting a smokeless Savage ML10-II then an Electra. Many of the new substitute powder claim or try to make claim of smokeless, easier clean up, and more power. So what is it the Savage using conventional powder claiming, over say the Triple Se7en other then because of the excellent design of the rifle (which you pay for) and the fact it will shoot a hotter powder, it can push a projectile faster and with more energy, and you do not have to run home and clean it. Although a lot of Triple Se7en shooters push the cleaning issue as well.

The Electra on the other hand is taking away the step of the ignition being "almost" seperate. There are not caps, primers, or rocks to make the Electra fire. A simple electric spark. The trigger is a switch, not a trigger. Granted, 209 primers are pretty postive ignition. But I have had them fail. Inline rifles are pretty positive ignition but all too often on the range I have heard only the "pop" of the cap and it did not fire. I think with the electric spark just inside andbehind that powder charge, you are taking away an element. Granted the batteries might go dead if you are not careful. Simple fix.. fresh batteries when you go out to hunt.

Even the Savage with its modern looks, design, and features does require you to put some kind of secondary item, a 209 primer or cartridge into them (not sure which) before it will fire. Not flip a switch. I can go to the wall next to me and flip the light switch. The switch allows or blocks the passage of electric current down the line. The same as the Electra trigger IMO.
Old 10-09-2007, 11:25 AM

switch/trigger = Smoothest trigger on any muzzleloader!
Gotta look at the positives!
Old 10-09-2007, 11:36 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: cayugad

Rebel Hog -- that does not surprise me. I think a lot of States are looking at the new battery operated technology as one step closer to a center fire. I kind of expected this to happen. The powder thought?? What brands of powder does that include, does it say?
Ibeleive it's Regular GunPowder. Black Powder has no Nitro-Cellulose added to it....Which to my understanding, No Savage..[:'(]

"By weight measure, black powder is made of seventy-five parts saltpeter finely ground, fifteen parts charcoal, and ten parts sulfur. All ingredients must be fine ground separately. This can be accomplished with either a mortar and pestle, or with a hand-cranked flour mill. Never mix all three ingredients before grinding unless you want to turn your mill into a deadly grenade, or your mortar into a cannon that can blow off your fingers or even your hand."

Old 10-09-2007, 12:58 PM
Dominant Buck

I figured it was aimed at the smokless powders but was not to sure about what makes some of the new substitute powders on the market. Some are sugar based, and who knows what the rest of them are..

I knew a fellow that made some black powder once. I asked him how it was and he said it fizzled is all. I asked him if he tried to shoot any, and he said no.. but he packed some in a CO2 empty cartridge tank from a pellet handgun, put a fuse on it and a wax seal and set it in the ground under a coffee can. He said they lite the fuse and ran like the devil. He said there was a lot of smoke, no boom, and they were too scared to go back and see what really happened, so they threw rocks at the coffee can...
Old 10-09-2007, 02:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

According to at least one review the battery isn't the only thing that can cause a non fire in the electra, getting it wet can also cause problems. In fact it was the only one that didn't fire after getting dunked in the review, the 209's still worked.

BTW, I haven't shot one but one of the guys from work has one and I got to handle it and shoulder it. It looks a bit strange with the magazine looking protrusion in front of the trigger gaurd but it comes up nice and feels good in the hand and ballances well. Wish I could talk him into letting me shoot it just so I could say I have. He was getting pretty good groups using 295 areotips and 100gr of pellets on the first range session, around 3" at 100 yards. Then his scope mount came loose and they started flying all over the place. He has fixed the loose mount but hasn't been back to the range to recheck.
Old 10-09-2007, 06:08 PM

Regulations not worth the piece of paper they're written on. Someone in the FWC saw the Electra ad, said "that's baaad", and now it's illegal. It's a kneejerk reaction and unfair to CVA. I hope CVA takes 'em to court for, I really do. Savage might as well give the FWC a headache, too.