Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 curing barrel fouling >

curing barrel fouling

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

curing barrel fouling

Old 10-05-2007, 09:15 AM
Typical Buck

Default curing barrel fouling

a month ago i bought a new TC triumph,i have heard lots of guys shooting omega's and encores having trouble with a crud ring forming near the breech plug in these guns. after only 2-3 shots my triumph was all but impossible to load. after talking to TC they just told me to clean it after every shot. i have a friend with a 2 yr old omega that was having the same trouble . well i found a product called ULTRA BORE COAT. i have treated both barrels with UBC almost totally elimated any barrel fouling. after firing 20 rounds i can clean the barrel with one patch. this stuff is so slick ,it loads easier and cleans easier. it is a ceramic coating .check it out

http://www.ultracoatingsinc.com/products.html
Old 10-05-2007, 09:29 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: curing barrel fouling

I've read of others using this product also. The claims they make are very impressive. But for the cost of the product they better be. I will be watching for those that use this. I really do not have all that major a problem with crud ring, so I will just keep swabbing instead.
Old 10-05-2007, 12:01 PM
Typical Buck

actually i was at the point that i was going to sell my gun,so 50.00 for a UBC KIT was a cheap fix, and one kit will do 2 muzzleloaders.
Old 10-05-2007, 12:09 PM
Dominant Buck

Did you ever think of changing to a cleaner burning powder like APP, Pinnacle, or Shockey Gold?
Old 10-05-2007, 12:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Been following these reports as well and think it mightbe a real plus for sabot shooters - but it is somewhat expensive. Glad Doug and crew were able to solve the dripper problem.
Old 10-06-2007, 09:20 AM
Typical Buck

yes ,i tried everything i could find in sabots ,powder and primers. TC should be paying to fix these ML'S they seem to the biggest problem with crud rings . from what i'm hearing they may offer UBC with there ml's next year. other brands don't have near the problems with sabots.
Old 10-06-2007, 09:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

"other brands don't have near the problems with sabots"

I don't know how anyone could substantiate that claim. Hodgdon would probably like for you to believe that but I seriously doubt any real study has been made. The fact is, there are a LOT of TC muzzleloaders in use. In my limited experience, the crud ring is not at all brand dependent.
Old 10-06-2007, 10:31 AM
Boone & Crockett

"In my limited experience, the crud ring is not at all brand dependent."

That is my experience as well. My CVA guns and my Encore develop terrible crud rings with 777. Lots of my friends and acquaintances have this problem withevery brand of M/L out there. The crud ring problem can be somewhat controlled ifevery bit of lubricant is removed from the bore before firing.
Boone & Crockett

srwshooter

But I have a few TC's and do not have a problem at all with the crud ring or excessive fouling and T7 is all that I shoot - either 100 or 110 grains - ignited with 209's, 25acp, and caps...
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: srwshooter

a month ago i bought a new TC triumph,i have heard lots of guys shooting omega's and encores having trouble with a crud ring forming near the breech plug in these guns. after only 2-3 shots my triumph was all but impossible to load. after talking to TC they just told me to clean it after every shot. i have a friend with a 2 yr old omega that was having the same trouble . well i found a product called ULTRA BORE COAT. i have treated both barrels with UBC almost totally elimated any barrel fouling. after firing 20 rounds i can clean the barrel with one patch. this stuff is so slick ,it loads easier and cleans easier. it is a ceramic coating .check it out

http://www.ultracoatingsinc.com/products.html
Where does that UBC stuff come from?? One should NOT have to clean a bore after every shot, especially when using one of the substitute powders! I can shoot three to five shots w/o cleaning, when using real black powder and patched round balls(this depends on the amount-the more powder, the fewer shots!). I can shoot indefinitely when using Pyrodex.

Quick Reply: curing barrel fouling

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.