Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

New Encore ???

Old 10-12-2007, 06:39 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: New Encore ???

Re-reading my posts they sound kind of snobby which I did not mean to do. My posts were aimed at the people that claim without doing the mods the gun is less than what it is. They were not intended for anyone on this site just the general comments I have read in the past.

It also reflects my personnal experience with the rifle.
Old 10-12-2007, 09:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would never advise anyone to do the things I did unless their Encore was suffering from similar woes. That whole progression of events was anything but a quick decision to do all those things. It was a painful education in what had to be done to get that one particular Encore to be the shooter it should have been out of the box.

Would have muchpreferred it had behaved like another 209x.45 I owned... that one had all blued metal, a nicely done bore and QLA and very good trigger from the start. It was an excellent shooter and the fellow I sold it to is extremely happy with the rifle. Another Encore in blue - a 209x.50, also had no such issues as my stainless model.

Some people buy car model X and never have a serious problem while others by the same model X and have nothing but problems. I believe TC went through a period of VERY poor QC on their stainless muzzleloader barrelsand I happened to get one of those pitiful specimens. The trigger was horrible, you could actually hear some crunching going on when the hammer was cocked and a return to the factory repaired that issue before the rifle was ever fired. The trigger was still too heavy for my tastes so I used Bellms' accessories to get it like I wanted. The replacement barrel from TC was much better done and might have well shot decently if I had left the QLA, but prior experience has soured me and I wanted it OFF.

So yeah, I think you came across a bit strong in that prior post and I'm glad you recognized same. You sorta have to drive one of those Monday hangover assembled brand X cars to know what the other guy has experienced. It was a learning experience though and the end result was really worthwhile. If I don't find a buyer for that Encore, it sure won't hurt my feelings as it is now a FINE rifle - just took a few trips to the mechanic to get it that way.
Old 10-12-2007, 09:29 PM

Bargara Sells a quick and easy fix for the encore QLA problem

Runs about $180 for a new barrel.
Old 10-12-2007, 09:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

fg, iz u Spanish?
Old 10-13-2007, 03:39 AM

I have both a 50 cal and a 45 cal barrel for my Encore. In the 50 I shoot 2 pyrodex pellets with 295 gr powerbelt hp. In the 45 I shoot three pellets with a 200 gr dead center bullet.
Old 11-11-2007, 08:34 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Semisane

Good presentation MOEncore. Besides, tweaking is just plane fun.
Your right !!

I also like to tweak things, its fun !!!!!!!!
I did add some shims to the rears stock, it kept loosening up and had side to side movement even when tightened . Ordered the .25 breach plug ( for the fun of it )and i think they look cool .
Sanded down the front forarm and removed all plastic near the barrel . The only place the forarm is touching is were the bolts are . I ordered a new scope to replace the red dot and looking at getting the laminated Grey stock .
Old 11-11-2007, 09:00 PM
Boone & Crockett

MOEncore

The next thing I did to my encore was to switch to the .25 ACP. Why?... because I love tweaking and if there is a better mouse trap then I am going to find it. Like many that HAVE done this conversion will tell you... its very simple and worthwhile. I can shoot all day with very very little residue. There is no comparison between the .25 ACP and the factory installed 209 shot primer that comes with the gun. I have yet to read from anyone that has done this conversion say they wished they didnt. I am sure some are out there... but I have heard nothing but praise from people on this board
I was not going to get in here because I do not shoot a Encore - I do shoot a Omega - I shoot it a lot - maybe to much - but because of that the 25 acp is a jewel... it is so much cleaner - no blowback at all - scope does not get sooted up... MLKeith first mentioned the 25 acp years ago and until I jumped into a Omega I thought he was nuts - but he was totally right....

Old 11-11-2007, 09:08 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: sabotloader

MOEncore

The next thing I did to my encore was to switch to the .25 ACP. Why?... because I love tweaking and if there is a better mouse trap then I am going to find it. Like many that HAVE done this conversion will tell you... its very simple and worthwhile. I can shoot all day with very very little residue. There is no comparison between the .25 ACP and the factory installed 209 shot primer that comes with the gun. I have yet to read from anyone that has done this conversion say they wished they didnt. I am sure some are out there... but I have heard nothing but praise from people on this board
I was not going to get in here because I do not shoot a Encore - I do shoot a Omega - I shoot it a lot - maybe to much - but because of that the 25 acp is a jewel... it is so much cleaner - no blowback at all - scope does not get sooted up... MLKeith first mentioned the 25 acp years ago and until I jumped into a Omega I thought he was nuts - but he was totally right....

Omega or Encore it's all good to me !!
I always injoy you thoughts and advise !!
Old 11-12-2007, 08:48 AM
Fork Horn

My Encore is shooting pretty well , but a get an occasional flier and i would like to see if the .25 acp will help keep all my shots tight.

Last edited by UtahRob; 08-15-2009 at 07:25 PM.