Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

New Encore ???

Old 10-06-2007, 08:46 PM
Fork Horn

Default New Encore ???

I Have always like the Encore but could not justify spending that much . My tradition pursuit pro is a nail driver and a great gun . But after two fun years of hunting with the muzzleloaders and my son getting a Elk and me getting a mule deer this year . I decided that hunting with Muzzleloaders was something that i was going to stick with and i just bought a new Encore S.S in .50 cal . What would you guys suggest as far as powder , bullets and primers to start with ?? Are there any loads that seem to work best with the Encore ??

Thank you very much !!
Robk.

Old 10-06-2007, 08:56 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: New Encore ???

I would try 3 fifty grain pellets and a 250 grain Shockwave. That seems to be the load all them Encore shooters on TV use. If that does not work, drop down to 2 fifty grain pellets and that same shockwave. Good luck with your new rifle.
Old 10-06-2007, 09:04 PM
Boone & Crockett

UtahRob

Congratulations on the new purchase... really hope you like your new gun. Might suggest you switch the 209 primer out for the 25acp conversion... soooo much cleaner.

I shoot an Omega - pretty close to an Encore and really it will shoot anything I put down it - have not tried conicals from it... ( gotta say that so FG will not come back and ask if it will shoot conicals)

Here are my pet loads...

Elk
100 grain T7-2f .458/300 grainNosler Partiton PP bullet in an MMP .457/.458 Orange Sabot. Shooting a 25 acp conversion (worth every dime) replacing the 209 breech plug

Deer
#1 load
100 grain T7-2f .451/260 grain NoslerPartition HP in a MMP HPH-24 sabot (in your new Encore you might need the thinner HPH-3p-EZ load sabot)

This load is expensive because of the Nosler bullet... so my next load lot less money is a poormans nosler a .452/250 grain Bonded Speer Gold Dot.

100 grain T7-2f + Speer Gold Dot in a the HPH-24 Sabot.

Experimenting with the 200 grain 10mm Hornady XTP in a MMP 40/50 cal sabot - shows a lot of promise.

Hey! good luck and good hunting... Use to read your posts and look at those fabulous pictures you posted all the time thought it was here but must have been on another site...

Old 10-06-2007, 09:10 PM

LOL SL'er
Old 10-06-2007, 09:39 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: sabotloader

UtahRob

Congratulations on the new purchase... really hope you like your new gun. Might suggest you switch the 209 primer out for the 25acp conversion... soooo much cleaner.

I shoot an Omega - pretty close to an Encore and really it will shoot anything I put down it - have not tried conicals from it... ( gotta say that so FG will not come back and ask if it will shoot conicals)

Here are my pet loads...

Elk
100 grain T7-2f .458/300 grainNosler Partiton PP bullet in an MMP .457/.458 Orange Sabot. Shooting a 25 acp conversion (worth every dime) replacing the 209 breech plug

Deer
#1 load
100 grain T7-2f .451/260 grain NoslerPartition HP in a MMP HPH-24 sabot (in your new Encore you might need the thinner HPH-3p-EZ load sabot)

This load is expensive because of the Nosler bullet... so my next load lot less money is a poormans nosler a .452/250 grain Bonded Speer Gold Dot.

100 grain T7-2f + Speer Gold Dot in a the HPH-24 Sabot.

Experimenting with the 200 grain 10mm Hornady XTP in a MMP 40/50 cal sabot - shows a lot of promise.

Hey! good luck and good hunting... Use to read your posts and look at those fabulous pictures you posted all the time thought it was here but must have been on another site...

Thanks !!!!!
I want to get the .25 breach plug and kit as soon as i get some more $$$$$$$ .

Old 10-06-2007, 11:33 PM
Fork Horn

sabotloader are you a Nosler man???? mmmmmm...noslers
Old 10-07-2007, 02:05 AM
Boone & Crockett

ReDoT

ya - i guess i am for about 48 years now... sept can not afford them any more...
Old 10-07-2007, 05:04 AM
Fork Horn

I have the older Encore, not the pro hunter, w/ 26" barrel. I shoot 110 grains of loose T7 ffg with the T7 primers (they don't seem to reduce the crud as advertised). I was shooting 240 grain XTP's which shot well but for my caribou hunt I went up to the 300 Hornady SST's. Shoots well on paper at 100 and the 2 caribou I shot with the load combo have major complaints right now.......
Old 10-10-2007, 11:51 AM
Fork Horn

Finaly got a chance to shoot my Encore .
I decided to try the same load i use in my Tradition pursuit pro , 100 grns loose powder , 300 grain XTp HP and Klean bore primers and two wet and one dry patch between shots . My Encore loves the combo , i was putting the bullets almost in the same hole . And i had NO blow by at all !!!!!!!
Old 10-10-2007, 11:53 AM
Dominant Buck

It sounds like you have a great shooting load already Rob. Its nice when a rifle tunes in that fast...

Quick Reply: New Encore ???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.