Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Getting the most out of my Wolverine >

Getting the most out of my Wolverine

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Getting the most out of my Wolverine

Old 09-28-2007, 12:21 AM
Fork Horn

Default Getting the most out of my Wolverine

Hi folks. I got a new hunting spot this year, and have a stand that overlooks an alfalfa field approx 300 yards across. I've taken deer out to 100 yds w/ 90 gr's Pyrodex and I belive 240gr Hornandy XTP's. Can anyone recommend a load that might stretch my maximum distance out closer to 200 yards? I'm concerned also of adequate ke, as well as accuracy. Thanks in advance.
Old 09-28-2007, 01:12 AM

Default RE: Getting the most out of my Wolverine

I use 100gr. loose 3f 777 and a 300gr. hornady sst in my master hunter. I have never had a need to shoot 200 yards at a deer but I can keep them in a 6" circle at 200 yards. I suspect this set up would easily kill a deer atthat distance.
Old 09-28-2007, 02:33 AM

Using 777 powder and Hornady SST you can achieve ranges farther than you think. I shoot 90 grains and shoot out to 250 and a touch farther. To date I have shot two past 200 yards. When you hit the deer that far you can hear the bullet hit pretty cool to hear. They don't even know whats going on till its too late. Farthest shot was 230 yards with 80 grains of 777 hit the front shoulder and almost went completely threw the otherside. Good luck!!

River Rat
Old 09-28-2007, 05:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: ultra man

Hi folks. I got a new hunting spot this year, and have a stand that overlooks an alfalfa field approx 300 yards across. I've taken deer out to 100 yds w/ 90 gr's Pyrodex and I belive 240gr Hornandy XTP's. Can anyone recommend a load that might stretch my maximum distance out closer to 200 yards? I'm concerned also of adequate ke, as well as accuracy. Thanks in advance.
I am shooting a Savage with Parker Ballistic Extreme 275g, thedrop with this bullet and 2000 fps mv (which you could get with 3 pellets or 120g of 777 3f loose) are with a 100 yard zero,
0 -1.5" low
50 .6 high
100 0" dead on
150 -3.9" low
200 -11.7" low

So if I sight my gun in for 150 now I get:

Calculated Table (see graphic attached below)

Which is 6.6" low at 200 yard. Bottom line is know the Maximum Point Blank Range of your bullet and load. A Shockwave, a Barnes TMZ, a Parker Ballistic Extreme, HarvesterScorpion PT, Hornady SSTwill all work, since they have high BC and have the ballistic tip and a HP under the Ballistic Tip. I tried 9 different bullets in my savage to find the ones that shot best, here is what i got, your mileage will vary!

http://www.the-gleasons.com/this_is_my_savage_10_ml_page.htm

You can drop any bullet into this: http://www.sav10ml.com/pages/load_data/traj_basic_dat.html

if you know the BC (look it up on vendor web site or google search). Bottom line, get a good bullet that has a high BC, sight it in for 3" high at 100 yards, and you should bewithin 3" of POAto 175 or 200 yards depending on the bullet.I like the 300g since theymore down range energy, but you give up about 25 yards of range for that energy. The energy punches thru the hide on the off side with 300g. With a 250 or a 240g, my experience is that isdoes NOT punch thru the hide, leaving a hard blood trail. NCHawkeye shoots them in the shoulder with SW, which I intend to do with myParker BE this year to anchor themwhere they stand.

Read, read, read on bullets,and try to understand why the "Masters" of the craft have selected the bullets they have--why do certain folks choose Nosler Partions, Swift A-Frame and Barnes all Copper (order the free videos from Barnes Web Site on the design of their bullets).Craig Boddington, why does he use a "Soft Point" in his first shot for Cape Buffalo and a solid for the 2nd in his double rifle? He has an excellent article on the future of bullet design in the current issue of American Rifleman. There is no other issue that sparks debate like "bullets" or bullet penetration or bullet fragmentation, but I in good faith I have given you my hard won experience (cause I use to shoot some fragmenting bullets). Do some reading, do some shooting of different bullets and make your own decision for your own rifle following the leads of the Masters of the craft, which I believe are Boddington, Shockey, Wakemanand a few other. Choose bullet carefully and wisely, using the following criteria:
#1 accuracy
#2 penetration
#3 weight retention
#4 expansion
#5 punch thru off side
#6 killing power/reputation

Best Wishes in bullet selection, it is an art, butthere is science to this art.

Chap Gleason

Old 09-28-2007, 08:31 AM
Dominant Buck

With your Wolverine.. if it is the short barrel model, anything more then 100 grains is a waste of powder IMO. If it is the longer barrel version, then you can push the rifle to 120 grains of loose powder and 150 grains of pellets.

Since you're getting good accuracy with the 240 grain XTP stay with that design. Go to something like the Barnes Expander in 250 or 300 grain.Start with 90 but work up as far in a powder charge accurate, as you can. A110 grains of powder, that is a 200 yard rifle IF YOU CAN PLACE YOUR SHOT AT THAT DISTANCE. Another load to extend your range is a 250 grain SST or Shockwave. Again 100 grains of powder and that bullet will put you way out there with the killing power.

I really want to stress to people do not try to do more then your shooting skills and rifle is able to do. There is no magic bullet or magic rifle. These people that talk about shooting 200 yards do so, because they practice and know their rifle.
Old 09-28-2007, 06:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: cayugad

These people that talk about shooting 200 yards do so, because they practice and know their rifle.
Agree 100%, know your equiptment and know your skill level and shoot within the limit of your skill and equiptment. Sorry if you thought I was encouraging them to "shoot beyond their means", that was not my intent. I was trying to get them to 200 yards, with proper bullet selection and proper ballistics knowledge.
Chap

Old 09-28-2007, 06:39 PM
Dominant Buck

Chap that was not aimed at you in the least...

I wanted everyone to understand that while the TV hunting shows are telling us how this rifle can shoot 200 yards with this bullet and that scooe, there is a lot more to shooting that distance then just the correct rifle and scope. Actually it upsets me that the manufacturers represent their rifles in that manner. It is all an attempt to sell something. Then, when people get it, they find out.. "Why can't I get my rifle to shoot good groups or shoot 200 yards like the TV guy does?" Then they bash the rifle or the load when in fact they really need to look at their own skill levels as well as the other aspects. I have nothing against people shooting that far, when they know they can shoot that far.
Old 09-28-2007, 09:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: cayugad

Chap that was not aimed at you in the least...

I wanted everyone to understand that while the TV hunting shows are telling us how this rifle can shoot 200 yards with this bullet and that scooe, there is a lot more to shooting that distance then just the correct rifle and scope. Actually it upsets me that the manufacturers represent their rifles in that manner. It is all an attempt to sell something. Then, when people get it, they find out.. "Why can't I get my rifle to shoot good groups or shoot 200 yards like the TV guy does?" Then they bash the rifle or the load when in fact they really need to look at their own skill levels as well as the other aspects. I have nothing against people shooting that far, when they know they can shoot that far.
Agree with you that 200 yards is the new ML target. Chap
Old 09-28-2007, 10:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

Well I have a situation where I need to shoot 200 yds if I can;My solution turned out to be the 50/40-200gr ShockWave and with the Omega I use 150gr of RS and with the triump I use 110gr 777-FF, we have a 20" Gong at 244 yds [our longest range and I have not missed it in a couple of year but I limit my self to 200 max and use a laser range finder. Lee
Old 09-30-2007, 01:45 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the valuable information gentlemen. I plan on doing some extensive testing from the bench in the next few days. Oh, in regards to shot placment, point well taken. I wouldn't take such a shot w/ my smoke pole until I am confident in both the gun and my shooting ability at said distances. Thanks again.