Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Omega with/without Pine Ridge Scope?? >

Omega with/without Pine Ridge Scope??

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Omega with/without Pine Ridge Scope??

Old 09-25-2007, 09:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Omega with/without Pine Ridge Scope??

Cabelas seems to have a really good deal on the Omegas right now. You can buy the bottom line Z5 for $250. All the reports, even on this bargain basement Omega seemto be good to outstanding, from what I've seen so I may jump into the inline market (right now I have a traditional hawken). I've got about $200 in Cabelas "bucks" right now.

Would any of you guys have any feed back on the optional Pine Ridge scope that you can get for $50 extra bucks???

I figured with the scope and rings and mounts, all for $50.oo, that would be a hard deal to pass up as well.

Thanks
hb

If anyone has had any troubel with the Omega, in particular the Z5, a report on that would also be appreciated.
Old 09-25-2007, 11:33 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Omega with/without Pine Ridge Scope??

The Pine Ridge scopes are a hit or miss scope. Many people have excellent luck with them. They report excellent clarity. Some people have terrible luck with them. Someone told me they are a Tasco scope they thought. I could not confirm that information.

If all your shots are 100 yards and less, I think the Pine Ridge would do you just fine. And you're right.. for the extra $50.00 for the mounts and such that is deal.

Another option is get the Omega without the scope. Get a set of bases, rings, and a Bushnell Banner Dusk to Dawn. You will have about a hundred buck in the whole works if you mount it yourself.

If the Pine Ridge does fail, I am sure Cabela's would make good on it, or give you some credit towards a scope of your choice.. like the Bushnell Banner Dusk to Dawn. You'd still have the base and mounts that way.
Old 09-25-2007, 12:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks again cayugad. Tasco?!?!? AHHHHG!!![:@]
I hope that is not the case. I could not abide one.

Still, I may go with the pine ridge short term and, as you said, I know cabelas will take it back. For the long term I may think about the Burris FF with the ballistic plex--that would seem to be good for some long range ML shooting seems to me.

I'll check out the Bushnell you recommended as well
Old 09-26-2007, 06:28 PM

I got the Pine Ridge scope on my Omega. Works wonderfully...couldn't find a better scope with rings and bases for $50 anywhere.
Old 09-26-2007, 07:01 PM
Dominant Buck

Tasco used to be an excellent quality scope. Then to stay in the market the had to put out some not so quality scopes. I have Tasco scopes on a number of center fire rifles although they are more then 20 years old, and they are top of the line scopes. There are different Pine Ridge scopes in price and quality just as there are different ones in many other brands.

I never shot a Burris but have sure read a lot of good reviews on them. I am shooting Nikon, Millet, Sightron, and Bushnell on the inlines now. Also a Bushnell Red Dot, and a Thompson Center 1X scope. I really like my Nikon scope.
Old 09-30-2007, 09:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Just put the order in for the z5 with the pine ridge scope this morning (before my $25.00 coupon expired). I know what you mean Cayugad about Tasco used to be good. I've got one of there old 3-9s (from 25 yrs ago) and it works fine although I still won't put it on anything more important than my .22 (because of the horrible luck I had with an additional Tasco (bought around 1990)). That thing was horrible. Now that I can afford decent quality glass, that is one place I won't skimp (although I will always look for a bargain)

Thanks for the help guys, I'm sure I'll be coming back to talk about bullets and powder. Members of this websiteare a better resourse than most anything else...as always

hb

Old 09-30-2007, 10:19 AM
Boone & Crockett

hillbillyhunter1

I honestly do not know if the "Pine Ridge" is a Tasco or not, but i would tell you that I have a Tasco "World Class" 3x9x40 Mil dot on my A&H. It has been there for about 5 years now. I have bought at least 4 different scopes to replace it with (because it is suppose to break) - they all end up someplace else because the Tasco just keeps on ticking. It is not like the A&H did not get shot either - it was my primary gun for years - I used it to do all my testing and hunted with it in really rotten conditions for years. someday i will replace it with a good Bushnell Elite 3200 -just do not know when.... now you have got me thinking i have neglected that gun the last year or so - might just have to go shoot it this week...
Old 09-30-2007, 11:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

i bought a used slug barrel and it came with a pine ridge scope. i thinks its either made by bushnell . maybe simmons if i had to guess.
Old 09-30-2007, 11:12 AM

The one thing you might switch out in the pine ridgescope kit is the rings.
Old 09-30-2007, 05:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Tasco underwent a tremendous negative change in quality at the end and what I've seen of the Bushnell version of Tasco have been no better. The World Class mentioned above was surely one made before they went downhill. My cousin has an old World Class on his Ruger .270 - I sighted that rifle in for him about 15 years ago. He told me he has moved the adjustments by one click left since then. Very good scope.

My only experience with Pine Ridge was one I ordered in 2x7 from Cabela's. It went back before ever being mounted - because it was crap. Dull image, grossly mobile crosshairs if your eye position changed at all, and eye relief seemed to mean that was the only distance you could be from the eyepiece and see ANYTHING. But, as Cayugad said, the scopes are very much hit or miss.