Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 TC Omega with Pine Ridge scope? >

TC Omega with Pine Ridge scope?

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

TC Omega with Pine Ridge scope?

Old 01-30-2005, 11:45 AM

Default TC Omega with Pine Ridge scope?

My wife ordered me a TC Omega .50 stainless/synthetic as a 10 year anniversary gift this weekend. She bought the gun/scope combo from Cabelas. Does anyone have any experience with the Pine Ridge Scope? I have always used Leupold or Nikon for my centerfires. In any event if the scope doesn't hold up I can always replace it with a better one. I certainly can't complain about my wife buying me a gun - never thought I'd see that happen!
Old 01-30-2005, 02:06 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: TC Omega with Pine Ridge scope?

This is just my opinion mind you... I would have just got the rifle and not the scope. I would have spent a little more for a better quality scope for such an outstanding rifle.....

Actually I have read some good things and bad things about Pine Ridge Scopes. They are either junk, or they work fine...

By the way, that's some wife you got. She sure knows how to buy presents. Maybe you could get he a leupold scope as her gift and she could let you borrow it....
Old 01-30-2005, 02:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

You are one lucky fella to have a wife that sweet. She did excellent selecting the Omega... it's rated in the top 5. However, she needs more schooling on differentiating good & bad scopes.... lol. But you never know - stranger things have happened... it could last many years using moderate powder charges/moderate sized bullets. What are the odds of that with magnum powder & bullets?.... less than 50-50 in my opinion.

Pine Ridge 2-7X32 Shotgun/Muzzleloader Scope
Old 01-30-2005, 05:18 PM

I have heard that people either live them or hate them. Some have problems and others work great. My friend has a Pine Ridge 3-7x32 i think on his cva ml and has not had problems with it. I put a simmons aetec on my Omega and i absolutely love it.
Old 01-30-2005, 07:29 PM

Thanks for the replies everyone. I'll kick the tires on the Pine Ridge - if it turns out to be a dud I'll replace it with a better one.
Old 01-31-2005, 05:32 AM
Spike

I bought the exact same combo 2 years ago, killed 2 deer with it too. The 2-7 is fine for hunting but not enough magnification for my aging eyes at the 100 yard range. I upgraded to a Bushnell Elite 3200 3-9 X 40. I shot the Omega with the new scope yesterday and was really impressed with the difference the 3-9 made. Our makeshift range is only 50 yards but my last 3 shots with 2 pellets of T-7 and 300 grain SST's were all through the same hole. I'm really looking forward to shooting at 100 yards! I'll probably sell the Pine Ridge scope to a buddy or possibly put it on a slug gun.
Old 01-31-2005, 09:21 AM
Typical Buck

Congradulations on having a wonderful wife!

What a gift, the Omega is a fantastic ML and T/C Serivce is top notch IMHO!

I would not consider the Pine Ridge under any circumstances - except in the case that this was gift and it's already mounted and boresighted.

Shoot/Hunt with it and see how it works. You may find it works just fine for your needs and will last several years in which case you don't need to mess with anything. Or, you choose that you don't care for the optics and then go through your own selection process.

If you do wish to keep it then use it until it dies then at that point assess if you wish to change optics.

Just carry a wrench in your field pouch when hunting in the event that the scope goes belly up. You may need to quickly return to iron sights (I carry a scope ring tool regardless of the scope manufacturer if I don't already have quick release rings).

Good Luck!
Old 02-21-2005, 06:52 PM

A friend of mine is shooting the same combination for about a year. To date he has killed 2 nice bucks, a nice corsician ram;
2 Russian wild boars the largest at 245 lbs. His scope has never
given him one minute of trouble. So don't prejudge the scope
it just might fool you.