Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 T/C Omega Z5 owners.....powder/sabot question. >

T/C Omega Z5 owners.....powder/sabot question.

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

T/C Omega Z5 owners.....powder/sabot question.

Old 09-20-2007, 12:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default T/C Omega Z5 owners.....powder/sabot question.

Hello everyone! I bought an Omega Z5 and I am getting ready to sight it in. I was wondering what powder/sabot or powder/conical combinations work well with this gun. I realize this topic has been beat to death. And all ML's shoot different. But I don't have much money and I needed some ideas. I have a little777 loose and 2 new boxes of 777 pellets (50/50 Black box). I am hoping to get good grouping with the pellets since I have 100 of them already. I had been usingthem in my other ML. For the Omega I have a few 270 gr T/C SG Shockwaves (yellow sabot). And I also bought some 280gr Platinum Powerbelts (black skirt). And the gun came with a few Shockwaves with the black sabot. I was wondering about the Hornady 280 & 300gr. XTP's also? I see they have them at Wally World for 10 bucks for 20 I believe. I was wondering whoon herehasanOmega and uses the pellets?I'm hoping to get by with two 50gr. pellets. I will most likely only be shooting up to 100yrds or so at the most. I'm trying to get a jump start on a good combination. Thank you very much for any info. I've searched the forums and read alot on other ML's, but I really need the info for the Omega 50cal. (I've read my manual, It says what it can shoot and what not too use, but doesn't give the good combos like my old T/C Carbine manual does.)

P.S. I realize that two different Omegas may not shoot exactly the same, just need someone to point me in the right direction. Cheap is okay as long as I'm good for 100yrds with decent results. Thanks!!

~Chris
Old 09-20-2007, 05:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: T/C Omega Z5 owners.....powder/sabot question.

ORIGINAL: Buckhunter46755

Hello everyone! I bought an Omega Z5 and I am getting ready to sight it in. I was wondering what powder/sabot or powder/conical combinations work well with this gun. I realize this topic has been beat to death. And all ML's shoot different. But I don't have much money and I needed some ideas. I have a little777 loose and 2 new boxes of 777 pellets (50/50 Black box). I am hoping to get good grouping with the pellets since I have 100 of them already. I had been usingthem in my other ML. For the Omega I have a few 270 gr T/C SG Shockwaves (yellow sabot). And I also bought some 280gr Platinum Powerbelts (black skirt). And the gun came with a few Shockwaves with the black sabot. I was wondering about the Hornady 280 & 300gr. XTP's also? I see they have them at Wally World for 10 bucks for 20 I believe. I was wondering whoon herehasanOmega and uses the pellets?I'm hoping to get by with two 50gr. pellets. I will most likely only be shooting up to 100yrds or so at the most. I'm trying to get a jump start on a good combination. Thank you very much for any info. I've searched the forums and read alot on other ML's, but I really need the info for the Omega 50cal. (I've read my manual, It says what it can shoot and what not too use, but doesn't give the good combos like my old T/C Carbine manual does.)

P.S. I realize that two different Omegas may not shoot exactly the same, just need someone to point me in the right direction. Cheap is okay as long as I'm good for 100yrds with decent results. Thanks!!

~Chris
I have an Omega and I shoot 100g of loose 777 (use to use 2 pellets), with a Crushed Rib Sabot and Nosler Partions 300g. The Noslers are expensive, about $1 each, but I am switching to Speer Gold Dots 300g when I shoot the last box of 50 up. The Speer Gold Dots are $16 for 50. Hornady, XTP Mag 300g Pistol bullets are good. I like the 300g since they tend to shoot thru deer and have better down range energy. So go with the 2 pellets (you don't need 3) and the Hornady, they will be excellent on deer, read this about the XTP:

http://www.chuckhawks.com/underrated_hornady_XTP.htm

Best wishes for this hunting season. Chap Gleason

Caution: If you shoot the XTP too fast (with 3 pellets say) then it will shed it jacket on close shots and not penetrate as well.
Old 09-20-2007, 02:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

For deer and antalopethe 50/40 200gr is beyond compare if it will shoot out of your gun with 150gr RS or 120gr 777. The 250 SW, Gold Dot and XTPis hard to better for deer out to 150yards;The 300gr SWand Gold Dot are good for elk, moose;I woulld like to try one on a buffalo some day. Lee
Old 09-20-2007, 08:56 PM

Everything you mentioned works great!!!

My best load is 90-110 grains loose Pyrodex or APP and a 300 grain XTP bullet. I have outshot the Shockwaves with XTPs in my gun.
Old 09-24-2007, 10:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well I'm about ready to go to the range. I have some Pyrodex RS loose, some 777 loose, Some 777 50/50 pellets. Some T/C Superglide 270gr SW's, some lighter SW's, Some 280gr. Powerbelts, and some XTP 300gr Mags w/crushed rib sabots. Now..... I'll see what this new Z5 will like!! I also bought a new scope. Rangefinder for the CB & ML. and a shooting/cleaning vise. Even have 20lbs of shot in an old bank bag for weight. I should be getting close...
Those XTP Mags should knock a buck on his a$$!!! I hope they group well. Hopefully the Powerbelts shoot close to the XTP's if not I'll be putting them on EBAY! Powerbelts are kinda expensive bullets.

chris
Old 09-24-2007, 11:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Buckhunter46755

Well I'm about ready to go to the range. I have some Pyrodex RS loose, some 777 loose, Some 777 50/50 pellets. Some T/C Superglide 270gr SW's, some lighter SW's, Some 280gr. Powerbelts, and some XTP 300gr Mags w/crushed rib sabots. Now..... I'll see what this new Z5 will like!! I also bought a new scope. Rangefinder for the CB & ML. and a shooting/cleaning vise. Even have 20lbs of shot in an old bank bag for weight. I should be getting close...
Those XTP Mags should knock a buck on his a$$!!! I hope they group well. Hopefully the Powerbelts shoot close to the XTP's if not I'll be putting them on EBAY! Powerbelts are kinda expensive bullets.

chris
You cannot shoot the PowerBelts too fast, only 1400 fps, be careful of that with your loose 777. I shot the factory recommended loads in my gun to begin with, just to make sure of grouping.Sounds like your into it to find a good bullet and load for your new rifle. Best wishes on doing that.
Chap Gleason