Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 powder question for omega? >

powder question for omega?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

powder question for omega?

Old 01-08-2007, 04:15 PM

Default powder question for omega?

my wife got me a omega for christmas, and i am getting ready to go shoot it. i was wondering for those that have them what they reccomend for powder? i would like to use goex black powder cause i like it out of my flintlocks, and was wondering if it will work well with my omega, or should i use pyrodex or triple 7. i am going to use the 250 grain shockwave bullets or the powerbelts. thank you. if this matters 50 caliber omega black with ss barrel. my thoughts are 100 grains powder with the shockwave bullets. i do prefer the loose powder over the pellets. what are your thoughts? thanks for your opinions.
Old 01-08-2007, 04:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: powder question for omega?

I my self would rather shoot pellets over black powder but to each his own...

I'm sure the black powder will shoot fine...
Old 01-08-2007, 04:38 PM
Boone & Crockett

outbackshooter34

If you are a confident BP shooter - go for it - why would it not perform for you in an Omega...

I myself have not shot enough real BP to know all the ins and out of shooting it.... so I took the easy way out and I shoot loose T7... a lot of people do not like it in their Omega's because it creates a fouling called a "crud ring." I do not share that experiance and I do not want to...

get shooting....

Old 01-08-2007, 04:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: outbackshooter34

my wife got me a omega for christmas, and i am getting ready to go shoot it. i was wondering for those that have them what they reccomend for powder? i would like to use goex black powder cause i like it out of my flintlocks, and was wondering if it will work well with my omega, or should i use pyrodex or triple 7. i am going to use the 250 grain shockwave bullets or the powerbelts. thank you. if this matters 50 caliber omega black with ss barrel. my thoughts are 100 grains powder with the shockwave bullets. i do prefer the loose powder over the pellets. what are your thoughts? thanks for your opinions.
That will work. I use that in a TC Flintlock and it works fine. If it will work in a FL it will work in an Inline. Allow you to use only 1 powder, gotta clean rightafter usering the gun however.
Chap Gleason Va
Old 01-08-2007, 05:57 PM
Fork Horn

I have used mostly Jim Shockeys Gold sticks. I think it is called another name now but it is still the same thing. It is a bit more expensive but burns cleaner and leaves less residue. I would try this in your gun.

I have never heard anything negative about these pellets, has anyone any serious problems with these.
Old 01-08-2007, 07:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: andrewjoseph

I have used mostly Jim Shockeys Gold sticks. I think it is called another name now but it is still the same thing. It is a bit more expensive but burns cleaner and leaves less residue. I would try this in your gun.

I have never heard anything negative about these pellets, has anyone any serious problems with these.
Only three negatives that I know of:
1) price 2) absorb mosture more than 777 and 3) not available in most hunting stores. Hey if you can afford the sticks have at it.
Chap Gleason Va
Old 01-08-2007, 09:04 PM

I shoot the same omega as you and shoot 250gr hornady xtp's for practice and 250gr shockwaves for hunting. With 115 gr 777 i can get 3 touching at 100yrds and not much off that at 150 other than dropping a bit. I havent really shot too much regular black powder so im not sure how it works in an inline but I would think it would do just fine. I tried pyrodex and was very unimpressed with it and the shockey sticks werent worth the hype in my opinion.
Old 01-09-2007, 07:10 PM

I like 100 grains Pyrodex and 300 grain XTP Mag sabots in mine the best. It seems to shoot best with the 300 grain bullets. I was pleased with the 240's as well though. Shockwaves are excellent in my mine but very expensive. Good luck.
Old 01-09-2007, 09:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

I guess I look at it from a different perspective. Black Powder is most efficent with heavy bullets [ look at any of the manuels that show both] different subs act differently with different weights I would judge Pyrodex to be the most consistant through different weights the rest of the subs all appear to me to be at their best with light to medium bullets say up to 300 grains, use what ever works best for what you need. Lee