Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Omega cleaning dilemma-need some help to make a decision >

Omega cleaning dilemma-need some help to make a decision

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Omega cleaning dilemma-need some help to make a decision

Old 09-05-2007, 06:45 PM

Default Omega cleaning dilemma-need some help to make a decision

Recently I replaced my Remington 700ML with a new thumbhole T/C Omega.
I scoped it with Trijicon 3-9x40 amber triangle scope and tested it with several loads. So far 125 grains of loose 777 and 250 grains shockwave is a winning combination.
After the shooting I removed the barreled action from the stock and thoroughly cleaned the firearm. But now I hear that the removing and reattaching the stock could cause the change of POI. I called T/C and asked about torque set at my wrench for tightening two stock screws. and heard the first news-customers are not allowed to talk to gunsmith at T/C any longer. So the first answer from the “call girl” was to ”just hand tight it”. It was not good enough for me and I had to wait 10 minutes, while the “call girl “ was looking for the gunsmith, explaining my request to him and getting back to the her cubical. The final answer was “hand tight “ should be good, but it could be also 5 in/lb too.
Now there is my dilemma:
-should I stop cleaning the action after every shooting session and disassemble the rifle at the end of the season and clean everything or still continue disassemble the rifle after each shooting session and use adjustable torque wrench set on 5 in/lb for tightening stock screws
I want to trust my rifle 100% and rather would not play with stock screws every time I shoot, but I do not want to have any corrosion issues in the action.
What is your take on it?

Old 09-05-2007, 07:18 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Omega cleaning dilemma-need some help to make a decision

That is a hard question.. I do not have an Omega but with ALL my muzzleloaders, after I shoot them, I pull them from their respective stocks, break them down, clean them and put them all back together. I have not seen a drastic difference in change of POI.

If I had any doubt that I was missing some part of the cleaning process because I would not pull the barrel, then the barrel would have to be pulled. Even with my Traditional rifles, I will often remove the locks ever third of fourth shooting session and make sure all if fine behind them. While some claim this is not necessary, I have yet not to find fowling behind them no matter how slight.

You have to be your own judge. In looking at my Black Diamond XR in the cleaning section it talks about breaking the rifle down by removing the barrel.
Old 09-05-2007, 07:25 PM

You should pull the stock on the Omega. Sucks I know. I had to do it with my Omega because it got pretty dirty under the barrel. After I upgraded to 25 ACP ignition I could let it slide a little. Once I have sighted in prior to season I don't pull the stock till the season is over with any muzzleloader. I also don't pull the scope (I use QR rings). Once the season is over I do a total clean.
Old 09-05-2007, 08:12 PM
Boone & Crockett

Cossack17

This is my opinion... but it really depends on the stock you have. You say thumbhole so I think you have a laminated wood stock, removing the action and then putting it back in should not affect your POI a lot if any. The laminate stock is ridgid and does resist flexing and warping. The key to me is to tighten the screws the same each time and for I tighten them equally snug and then tighten the rear screw first then the front. Equally firm...

Another reason you need to separate them is that I assume you have a newer Omega that has the gas vent hole under the nipple on the bottom of the barrel. Older Omega like mine did not have this vent and do not get as dirty under their as some can. Changing to the 25acp ingnition system will solve a lot of that problem..

I also will tell you that I shoot T7 also and after the season starts I do not strip clean my Omega I will clean the barrel with windex, but I will not take it apart.

Here is what wrote earlier on this subject...

This works for me but it is not the recommended procedure and it really depends on what powder you are using.

I do shoot T7 and I believe it is less corrosive than the Pyros or real BP (remember no sulphur salts in T7, but it is a surgar derivitive as most people describe it). Because of this belief I do not deep clean the gun each time I shoot it unless it is a long range session, but for hunting it may never recieve a strip clean until the end of the season. When I am hunting I have no interest in having a pristine clean bore, and I certainly can not shoot a shot or a squib every morning prior to hunting - I want that same semi fouled bore like I shoot @ the range.

Just prior to hunting season I will shoot 3-5 shots to check zero. Then I will clewan the barrel with Windex until I get clear patches - dry the bore and lube the bore very lightly with Slip 2000. I do not remove the breech plug - it is taped with teflon and stops blowback at the face of the BP so I do not have crud working its way back down the threads. The gun will remain in this semi-clean state the rest of the hunting season.

I really believe the windex neutralizes the residue in the bore and the lubrication of the bore protects it. Been doing this procedure for about 6 years now and see no ill effects.

Old 09-05-2007, 08:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Mine doesn't have the vent either. Once I'm zero'd before the hunt it doesn't come apart. Even after several range sessions, there is very little grime in the trigger mech.

I like to see where my first shot goes on a clean bore and zero for that first shot.
Old 09-05-2007, 08:47 PM
Typical Buck

I also have an early Omega stainless camo synthetic stock. It was dead on removing the stock and reinstalling when it was new. Last year it started being different. I missed a fairly decent shot at an elk, clean miss at about 85 yards. Went to target and found POI off almost 12 inches at 80 yards. Re-set the sights and never shot again. Cleaned the gun (removed and reinstalled stock) and the next time I shot it was off about six inches??? Another guy mentioned that his front mount on the rifle was loose at the barrel (it attaches with two screws). Checked mine and it can be turned side to side a small amount. Not sure that is the total problem but certainly is not a good thing. Screws seem tight but I plan to remove install with epoxy between mount and barrel loc-tite the screws with blue and see if that solves the problem. I may bed the two mount bases at the same time to keep the stock from cracking at a later date. My screws are somewhat burred as though someone at the assembly slipped off the screws when tightening. My rifle is several years old so I don't think I will send it back for that. My experience with most repair areas is unless they totally understand all the problems they just fix what they think is wrong and sometimes totally miss the real problem.