Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 MLing is screwed up!!!!! >

MLing is screwed up!!!!!

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

MLing is screwed up!!!!!

Old 09-04-2007, 01:53 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: MLing is screwed up!!!!!

My Omega was acting strange the last time I shot it. I was hunting and missed a fairly good shot at an elk. I later shot some target and my groups were not very good and somewhat off from the last time I sighted it in (which was just the week before). I got a note from another Omega owner that said to check the front stock mount base as it is screwed onto the barrel. As luck would have it I can turn the mount left and right a little due to the screws being loose enough to allow it. I am not sure that is the problem but it sure can't help if the mount moves. I plan on using a little epoxy on the base and resetting the screws with loctite to see if I can solid it up. My stock is synthetic and does not have any cracks but has not been bedded which is in the plans when I get time to work on it. You might check the same thing. I just bought a torque screwdriver also to make sure that when I reset the stock the screws are exactly the same and torqued in the same procedure each time (back screw first then front screw).
Old 09-04-2007, 12:35 PM

Well, I checked everything that seemed a reasonable problem. Everything was in shape----the stock had no cracks whatsoever, the barrel was not loose. The only thing that could have caused the problem was that I noticed that the sights up/down adjustment was a bit loose. The sights were not moved at all but who knows what could have happened when I was shooting. I tightened it all up so I shouldn't have to worry about that again. It's a possibility that was the problem, but I guess I'll find out as soon as I pick up some more bullets.

Either way, I'm not screwing around with stuff anymore. I'm sticking to the 300 grain bullets and I should have a bunch more by tonight.

I'm just not gonna take off the stock any more.....It causes too much of a shift every time. If I do take it off, I'm gonna tighten it exactly the same each time. It seems that it wouldn't matter ifI just tightened them real tight though....but with MLing everything causes a change apparently.

I still think it just had some kind of a fouling problem so I'll keep you posted when I get more results.
Old 09-06-2007, 08:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

You can check the other things that others have said and you should,but it's my opinion that fouling/rust is playing a big part. I don't mean to offend you but did you clean bore GOOD and rust preventive after shooting and cleaning? As you know,pyrodex is STILL corrosive and builds up fouling-just not as much as pure black powder. Clean bore GOOD,get some american pioneer powder-totally non corrosive,no fouling buildup,consistant velocity and accuracy-my own personal powder. Another thing is seat bullet with proper seating attachment made specifically for your type bullets used and maintain same loading pressure every time just firm without smashing or hammering bullet when seating.