Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Bore Butter... a riddle wraped in an tube! >

Bore Butter... a riddle wraped in an tube!

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Bore Butter... a riddle wraped in an tube!

Old 08-21-2007, 08:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Bore Butter... a riddle wraped in an tube!

I also used to use BB. Now with my T/C renegade, after a session with 777, I clean it up and use oil patches to protect between shooting sessions.

However, I shoot T/C maixiballs with BB in the grooves. Very accruate. So, maybe I get the best of both worlds?

I can tell you this, when I use BB, my first shot after cleaning was closer to my 2nd, 3rd.......shots than after using oil. Even after popping off some caps and fouling the barrel with 10-15 grains, it still shoots farther from my zero on that first shot. So now when I hunt, I try my best to shoot a full load and bullet, run a spit patch and clean patch through it, then load it for hunting. I just feel more confident that the next shot will be back at zero.
Old 08-21-2007, 09:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use bore butter with the milli balls I cast and lube. It has always worked fine and I have no problem using it. I guess if it ain't broke don't fix it.
Old 08-21-2007, 11:48 PM

I've used BB in my T/C ThunderHawk for......I forget the year but, it was when the ThunderHawk 1st came out. I've used nothing but BB. My Mz is as clean and rust free as the day I bought it. And just last year I made my longest shot ever on a deer...198 yards....using 90 grains Pyrodex RS....Hornaday 240 grain XTP's. I held 5 inches over his back and the hit was perfectly centered in the deer and he only ran about 100 yards and piled up. The bullet didn't exit but, lodged just under the skin on the other side of the deer. The bullet also didn't expand....it only had a slight dent in the nose of the bullet where it hit a rib . The deer scored 134 as a 10 point. All the conditions were right for me to take this shot...no wind...had a very steady rest...I felt very comfortable squeezing the trigger and knew I hit him from the sound even though I never saw him run off because of the smoke.

I just purchased a T/C Omega and after reading this about BB , I'm afraid to use it anymore. Even if I don't see whats wrong with it. Will it damage your gun...my old MZ is still a shooter....I just hope My Omega is half the gun the ThunderHawk is.
Old 08-22-2007, 08:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

rem...Inlines and sidelocks have different rifling depths, in fact in a custom made round ball barrel the rifling is .012-.015 deep and the barrel has less carbon than factory made steel barrels...So if you can "season" a barrel, you could do so in a custom gun....The original ad that TC came out with had a Renegade that had been shot 1000 times without cleaning the crud out of a barrel, that's really no big trick if you use the proper patch/ball combo...In this ad, the were using BB to lube the patch for a round ball...I don't ever remember them pushing using this stuff to use as a rust preventative during storage, the curret TC webpage doesn't mention this, it does mention using on the outside of the barrel...

I have 2 custom flintlocks, and have shot them since the mid 70s...Frankly I think the "seasoning" is pure marketing...I have used various methods and types lube and cleaning products through the years and now, I just use rubbing alcohol with a squirt of Murphy's Oil Soap for cleaning and a home made lube for patches, I just switched to the home made lube and I used SnoSeal or BB for years...

I had also called both TC and Knight several years ago as I help several locals with their inlines, both said do not use in an inline as the rifling is more shallow than in a sidelock and with sabots you do not need lube....

Guess that's why I don't use...
Old 08-22-2007, 09:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well I talked with T/C and they said not to use BB if your shooting Sabots,which I was at the time.
I had also called both TC and Knight several years ago as I help several locals with their inlines, both said do not use in an inline as the rifling is more shallow than in a sidelock and with sabots you do not need lube....
Amazing that TC will tell people this but send a CD with the omega showing its all you need.
Another reason I am done with TC.

Steve
Old 08-22-2007, 09:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: slowpokebr549

Right on brothter, I am at a loss as to why all the BB hatred. I have used it for years and have had excellent results. I used to make my own beeswax and tallow mix, but BB is just so damn convenient. No rust, good accuracy, but then again all that goes down my barrels is patched or plain lead.
I clean ALL my bores with plain old boiling water (2-4 quarts depending on borte diameter), followed by enough clean,. dry patches to completely drry the bore. Then when it cools, I use Birchwood-Casey SHEATH for protection from rust before putting the guns away. You don't have to wipe the bore before loading up next time.

For lubricating my pure-lead, home-cast bullets, when loading th gun I put a Wonder Wad on top of the powder. (I believe these may, indeed, be lubed with something like Bore Butter-but it was applied sparingly-you can't see it!!).

This treatment goes for all my ML's, caplocks, flintlocks, and inlines. For a PRB, I use T/C prelubed patches-I think these also have some stuff like Bore Butter on them. But again, not a lot!

My rifles, using such loads,shoot like this:

These two groups, .45 & .50 cal. respectively, were both shot at 100 yards with sidelock percussion rifles using Maxi-Balls in both.....