Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Bore Butter... a riddle wraped in an tube! >

Bore Butter... a riddle wraped in an tube!

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Bore Butter... a riddle wraped in an tube!

Old 08-21-2007, 11:09 AM
Fork Horn

Default Bore Butter... a riddle wraped in an tube!

Here is my results... back whenI first started muzzleloading I used it because I thought you were supposed to. That gun was a Remington 700ML which shot MOA. OK the next gun was a TC Encore again no.13 and Bore Butter = MOA. The next Muzzleloader was a CVA Hunterbolt .45... MOA with 195 Powerbelts ( which fragmented into tiny pieces on a 30 yard doe [:@]) again no.13 and BB. Now my most recent guns... TC Omega and a Knight Disc Elite... the Omega under MOA, you guess it 13 and BB. With the Knight I used Mean Green window washing fluid and Break Free CLP,,, I never could get the gun to group worth a hill of beans and I tried all the loades that the Elite was susposed to like. the reason I changed was because all the ML guys in the know said BB was crap... no way to season a high performance barrel they said,,, well I don't know what does or doesn't do but it sure seems to work for me; no rust and 100 yard MOA groups. Maybe TC does have tons of BB lying around to sell ( kind of like the miracle sauve company on Andy) and that's why they push it... but heck I like it,,, I even like the way it smells... makes me feel like a real black powder shooter!!
Old 08-21-2007, 11:34 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Bore Butter... a riddle wraped in an tube!

flint head

BB- what a subject... some where along the line it got a bad name and that has perpetuated into a hated product - sort like choosing ur favorite bullet..... I like you have used BB for what seesm like a 100 years now and it reallydid serve me well in all consitions and in all of my rifles. I think (well I know) some people have had failures with the product, but i beleive those failures are a direct result of how it is is applied to the bore.

This last year I have quit using the product, not because ot failed me, but because I believe I have found a better more versitile product and it certainly is working for me also.

Old 08-21-2007, 11:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

Bore Butter was made for sidelocks not inlines.

Just use your favorite gun oil in inlines.
Old 08-21-2007, 11:38 AM

Right on brothter, I am at a loss as to why all the BB hatred. I have used it for years and have had excellent results. I used to make my own beeswax and tallow mix, but BB is just so damn convenient. No rust, good accuracy, but then again all that goes down my barrels is patched or plain lead.
Old 08-21-2007, 11:45 AM
Dominant Buck

I have no problem with anyone using bore butter in their rifles. After all it is their rifles. They can do what they want.

I used bore butter for many years. When I first started, bore butter was about all that was out there for lubing patches and conicals. I have since moved away from smearing wax in my bore. And the idea of seasoning just does not seem to click with me. I can shoot all day with my non bore butter bore and it works just fine. Also oil is a lot easier to apply and remove. Also I do not worry about my rifle bores when I have a quality gun oil protecting them like I did when I was a bore butter user.

If you want to use bore butter, make sure you use it properly.
Old 08-21-2007, 12:11 PM
Fork Horn

Cayugad, I understand what you are saying and that makes perfect sense... and that's why I changed. Maybe it was just the Knight or maybe it's voodoo magic but if Bore Butter is wrong I don't want to be right
Old 08-21-2007, 05:00 PM
Fork Horn

Well I talked with T/C and they said not to use BB if your shooting Sabots,which I was at the time.

I use BB to lube patches.But at the end of the day my Rifles and Shotguns are cleaned and Oiled with Remington Gun Oil.

big rockpile
Old 08-21-2007, 05:48 PM

I've used borebutter. Never again for anything but bullet/patch lube for roundballs. The stuff is worthless for anything else.
Old 08-21-2007, 06:51 PM

Bore Butter was made for sidelocks not inlines.
Just use your favorite gun oil in inlines.
I don't get it...I use BB on both. I wouldn't have a problem with oil on both either, but don't see why they should be protected differently. Just curious.

Old 08-21-2007, 07:53 PM

195 grain powerbelt was intended for turkey and varmit. A 245- 295 grain powerbelt in a .50 was meant for deer. Hopefully i'll get a chance to try a 225 grainer out on a mule deer this year.

Quick Reply: Bore Butter... a riddle wraped in an tube!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.