Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 I just opened up my new omega >

I just opened up my new omega

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

I just opened up my new omega

Old 07-16-2007, 07:38 PM

Default I just opened up my new omega

Well hello there everyone i was looking for a place to ask a few beginer questions and from what i have seen so far i have found the right place. alright i just bought my first ML a tc omega i have read the manual and watch the video but still have a few set up questions. let me first tell you i am a illinois hunter have been hunting with a slug gun for 15 years.i am confident in my slug gun out to 130 yards. so i am looking for a setup for deer that will pick up where my slugger drops off am basically looking for a 200 -225 yard set up . does anyone have any suggestion on a powder bullet combo for deer at long range also have been looking for a scope i have a leupold vx-1 3-9x40 on my slugger and absolutely love it it has to be the clearest scope i have ever looked thru and does awesome in low light conditions. but since i am trying to increase my effective killing range was not shure if i should try out a different scope.was looking at the nikon omega but wasnt shure how it would stack up versus a leupold also was wondering how everyone liked the bdc reticle.thanks for any help in advance...
Old 07-16-2007, 08:13 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: I just opened up my new omega

Welcome to the forum. Its great to have you here.

As for a 200 yard rifle, that will take some practic but the rifle will be able to do it. I would suggest trying some 250 grain Shockwaves. Under the Shockwaves I would suggest loose powder. I would start with 100 grains and work upward until the accuracy drops off. Be sure and swab the barrel between shots. If you want to shoot pellets, then you might want to try 150 grains, and see what kind of accuracy you have.

All you can do is try some different loads and see what kind of accuracy you get. As for the scopes, both of those you mentioned are good scopes.
Old 07-16-2007, 09:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have also hunted the open cornfield in Il,I also have shot an Omega for a couple of deer seasons. Since long range both for accuracy and distance is one of my favorite things to experiment with I have tried all sorts of loads. I ended up useing only one load for extreme range the 200gr 50/40 Shock Wave it is the flatist shooting load with 150grs that I have seen used in a MZ loader and in my Omega it will out group anything else I have tried; I have used it on deer, boar and am hoping for an elk tag this year. Since no two guns are the same yours might like it with 150grs of Pryodex pellets or might not and thats true of any load but it is worth trying especally for your circumstances. Lee
Old 07-17-2007, 12:59 AM
Fork Horn

My Omega is sighted in at 100 years and either the 200 or 250 shockwave with 110 gr ff 777 give me 3/4" groups at 100 yards , also have a 3x9 scope on it .
Charlie
Old 07-17-2007, 05:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: ihuntbuck

Well hello there everyone i was looking for a place to ask a few beginer questions and from what i have seen so far i have found the right place. alright i just bought my first ML a tc omega i have read the manual and watch the video but still have a few set up questions. let me first tell you i am a illinois hunter have been hunting with a slug gun for 15 years.i am confident in my slug gun out to 130 yards. so i am looking for a setup for deer that will pick up where my slugger drops off am basically looking for a 200 -225 yard set up . does anyone have any suggestion on a powder bullet combo for deer at long range also have been looking for a scope i have a leupold vx-1 3-9x40 on my slugger and absolutely love it it has to be the clearest scope i have ever looked thru and does awesome in low light conditions. but since i am trying to increase my effective killing range was not shure if i should try out a different scope.was looking at the nikon omega but wasnt shure how it would stack up versus a leupold also was wondering how everyone liked the bdc reticle.thanks for any help in advance...
Read this article on differentbullet drop from 100 to 200:

http://www.hpmuzzleloading.com/Technical.html

You may also want to consider the Parker Balistic Extreme, the Barnes TMZ and the Harvester Scorpion PT, all 3 have ballistic points and are extremely accurate. In my new Savage the 300g SW shoots excellent with a 5 hole group of about an inch. If you shoot the shockwave for deer use unbonded, if you use them for elk use the bonded. I like the 300g because they tend to shoot thru deer, which I like, 240 and 250g bullets tend to expand and be on the off side on a lung shot.

As for scopes if you intend on shooting 200 a lot, then I would go with a 4-12 instead of a 3 to 9. You like your Leoupold, I would stick with that since they make a good product and you are happy with it. If you want to spend only $250 look at a Bushnell Elite Firefly 3200.

I think you will like your smoke pole, they are fun.
Chap Gleason
Old 07-17-2007, 09:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Shooting a muzzleloader accurately at the 200 to 225 range is going to take a LOT of practice!

I also have a T/C Omega and a pair of Encore Pro Hunters for hunting here in Illinois and they all seem to like the 250 gr Shockwaves as good or better than any other bullet I've tried thus far. As mentioned above, try 130-150 grains if your using pellets or 100-120 if you're using loose powder.

Your optics choice is pretty much wide open butI'll mentioned afew to seriously consider. On my muzzleloaders I use a Swarovski 3-10x42, a Nikon Monarch UCC 2-7x32 and a Nikon Omega 3-9x40. I honestly believe that the Nikon Omega scope is one of the best buys in the industry. The glass is of much higher quality than I expected to find and the BDC retricle makes the longer range game a pleasure to play!

Good luck on your Illinois buck this season! What county are you hunting?
Old 07-17-2007, 12:12 PM

A Barnes Spitfire TMZ or T/C Shockwave of 250gr would be good bullets. T7 FFG would be the most powerful powder. Try either of the bullets with 110-140gr T7 and see what the results are like.
Old 07-17-2007, 02:48 PM
Fork Horn

I have the TC omega and sighted this gun in for several bullets. One thing that I know is that MY omega does not like conicals at all. It shoots the powerbelts well but I don't like the powerbelts.

Buffalo Bullets:
225 grain sabot/bullets...90 grains of powder, 100 yards, 3 rounds I could cover with a quarter.

Precision Rifle bullets:
215 grain sabots, 90 grain of powder, 100 yards...all rounds in the bullseye.

Precision Rifle bullets:
330 grain extreme elite sabots, 110 grains of powder, 100 yards and all bullets in the bullseye.

I decided to go with the heavier bullets and I'm glad that I did. I shot a buck at 70 yards this past year during Illinois muzzleloader season and he went all of 30 feet. Dropped him something fierce...

I feel that my omega likes the heavier rounds better...I've got to re-sight in my gun as I replaced the synthetic stock with a thumbhole laminate stock.

Paul
Old 07-17-2007, 04:46 PM

Thanks everyone for your suggestions i cant wait to get this gun all setup and take it out to the range to see what it will do. i do think i will go with loose powder so i can fine tune. my main reason for wanting this gun is the deer that come into the feild i hunt behind my house either come out at 100 130 or 180 yards and after they figure out it is hunting season they all stand out there at about 200 yards and look at me sitting there and this year i want to have a suprise for them as it seems the big bucks always use the 180 yard trail and never come much closer than 150-160 from my stand. i hope to educate a couple of theese bond county deer that 150 yards is not a safe distance to stand anymore...also i will start out shooting the 250 sw bullets i got with my cabelas starter kit does anyone have suggestions with a good powder and primer to start with?
Old 07-17-2007, 06:02 PM
Dominant Buck

With an Omega, start with Triple Se7en 2f powder loose. The normal shockwaves are fine for deer from what I have read. I personally never got to shoot a deer yet with one. Using a see through powder measure start your shooting with 100 grains. Shoot for groups and work your powder load up until the group starts to fall apart. 120 grains of powder is plenty in loose form.

I hope your accuracy is such that, you can give the deer a good hunting lesson, but perhaps you might want to consider something as simple as a different stand where you can cut the shooting distance down a little... Good luck, and keep us posted as to how it shoots.

If the original shockwaves load "hard." Try some Harvester Crushed Rib sabots, or MMP HPH24 or some of the easy glide sabots. They make a tight loading rifle load much easier...

Quick Reply: I just opened up my new omega

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.