Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 I just opened up my new omega >

I just opened up my new omega

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

I just opened up my new omega

Old 07-17-2007, 08:19 PM

Default RE: I just opened up my new omega

I wish i could move in closer but the woods where the deer are coming from is no hunting and there are not any trees on the feild side of the fence that would work for a stand. i have been hunting this stand for five years and have often wished i could shoot 50-60 yards farther. now hopefully i can....
Old 07-18-2007, 06:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: ihuntbuck

I wish i could move in closer but the woods where the deer are coming from is no hunting and there are not any trees on the feild side of the fence that would work for a stand. i have been hunting this stand for five years and have often wished i could shoot 50-60 yards farther. now hopefully i can....
You need a very solid rest for shooting that distance, any slight movement will throw your shot off as you know. A ladder stand witha shooting rest is ideal for shooting that distance. Also shooting sticks with one of those "Big Game" stands with a lot of room. Best wishes for your quest to get 60 more yards. Chap Gleason
Old 07-18-2007, 09:49 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: lemoyne

I have also hunted the open cornfield in Il,I also have shot an Omega for a couple of deer seasons. Since long range both for accuracy and distance is one of my favorite things to experiment with I have tried all sorts of loads. I ended up useing only one load for extreme range the 200gr 50/40 Shock Wave it is the flatist shooting load with 150grs that I have seen used in a MZ loader and in my Omega it will out group anything else I have tried... Lee
Just so everyone in IL is aware... the 200gn SW is illegal to use in IL on deer. It is a 40 cal round and IL regs do not allow you to use anything that small... 44 cal is the smallest round allowed for ML's... so DO NOT use the 200 gn SW for IL deer hunts...
Old 07-19-2007, 05:02 PM

ORIGINAL:
You need a very solid rest for shooting that distance, any slight movement will throw your shot off as you know. A ladder stand witha shooting rest is ideal for shooting that distance. Also shooting sticks with one of those "Big Game" stands with a lot of room. Best wishes for your quest to get 60 more yards. Chap Gleason
[/quote]

how did you know what kind of stands i use. i bought a big game [luxury box ] about 4 years ago and have since started changing all my stands to them i am up to three of them now and plan on getting one more this year. i am a big guy and i cant set real long in some of the ladder stands out there .but dont have any problems setting 5-6 hours in a luxury box. but anyway have got all my goodies together for shooting this beast exept a scope i think i will stick with leupold am thinking either a 4-12x40 vx-1 0r a 3-9x40 vx-2 and i think i might try the LRD long range duplex reticle
Old 07-19-2007, 05:04 PM

If you plan on shooting 200+ yards, i'd go with the 4-12X
Old 07-19-2007, 06:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: ihuntbuck

how did you know what kind of stands i use. i bought a big game [luxury box ] about 4 years ago and have since started changing all my stands to them i am up to three of them now and plan on getting one more this year. i am a big guy and i cant set real long in some of the ladder stands out there .but dont have any problems setting 5-6 hours in a luxury box. but anyway have got all my goodies together for shooting this beast exept a scope i think i will stick with leupold am thinking either a 4-12x40 vx-1 0r a 3-9x40 vx-2 and i think i might try the LRD long range duplex reticle
go with the 4-12x40. As for your stand, I didn't know, but I hunt out of one up at my Brother's camp in NY State. They are extremely nice and comfortable and you can use shooting sticks or use the shooting rack that comes on the stand, which I feel is too low. Chap Gleason
Old 07-19-2007, 10:03 PM
Fork Horn

I just recently bought an Omega and have notw got it sighted in like I want, and am very impressed with the way it shoots. I got the thumbhole and it feels very nice in my hands, I can hold it very steady with no rest.

I have started shooting TC shockwaves, and am amazed at how they feel coming out of the rifle. Compared to shooting heavier powerbelts out of my CVA Buckhorn, it feels like Im shooting a .22. I have sighted in at about 2 in. high at 100 with 125 gr. T7 and it shoots about 2 in. low at 200 yds. I think this sounds about right, I havent shot that much at 200 and dont really like that much distance.

But, I live in Iowa and hunt mostly farmground, so like you said your problem is, I need to occasionally make some longer shots - 150yds or so.

Im really happy with the rifle and hope it works well for you too.
Old 07-20-2007, 11:10 AM

alright i think i will go with the 4-12 do you guys think i should get the ajustable objective model or is that overkill on a ML????
Old 07-20-2007, 04:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

The Leupold scope is a good choice. I have used the Burris and Leupold's on MZ's. It sounds like you know your yardage. If I were you I would get either a Burris or Leupold with either the Boone and Crocket or the Burris B-Plex reticle. I do not like the BDC reticle. I do not understand why they would put circles in a scope. I am not knocking it without trying it. I have a 4X12 Monarch with the BDC on a 22 Magnum. I find it difficult to use. I also have The B&C reticle's on Leupold's and I really like them. Their distances on the scopes have worked out well for my large conicals. And since you know the distance's you should not have any problem's. Any MZ past 100 yards is a rainbow trajectory to start with-so go with a heavy conical and learn your trajectory. I would have no discomfort shooting to 250 yards or slightly beyond with a 525 grain bullet at 1600 fps. The B&C reticle will allow you to do that. Just practice.

Remember there are shooter's who do this with open sights. I have even witnessed shooter's with open sights shooting to 1,000 yards. Now that is impressive.

A large bullet will kill effectively at long distance as long as you do your part. There were alot of buffalo killed with a 45-70 past 200 yards. And IMO it is not difficult to duplicate 45-70 ballistics from a MZ. Just practice. Tom.
Old 07-21-2007, 07:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: andrewjoseph

I just recently bought an Omega and have notw got it sighted in like I want, and am very impressed with the way it shoots. I got the thumbhole and it feels very nice in my hands, I can hold it very steady with no rest.

I have started shooting TC shockwaves, and am amazed at how they feel coming out of the rifle. Compared to shooting heavier powerbelts out of my CVA Buckhorn, it feels like Im shooting a .22. I have sighted in at about 2 in. high at 100 with 125 gr. T7 and it shoots about 2 in. low at 200 yds. I think this sounds about right, I havent shot that much at 200 and dont really like that much distance.

But, I live in Iowa and hunt mostly farmground, so like you said your problem is, I need to occasionally make some longer shots - 150yds or so.

Im really happy with the rifle and hope it works well for you too.
You got a shooter there Adnrew. I know what you mean about the SW, they are one accurate bullet. Chap Gleason

Quick Reply: I just opened up my new omega

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.