Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

OSHA crap!

Old 07-10-2007, 04:40 PM
Spike

Default RE: OSHA crap!

Falcon, As I have not read the entire proposed rule changes I cannot speak to the whole thing. What does bother me is that what I have read so far in the document, OSHA DOES define primers, caps etc. as explosives. I hope as I read further, that they differentiate between reloading supplies and dynamite in terms of storage and handling in a workplace. I have not found that yet. Can you clue me in as to where the pertinent info might me?
Old 07-11-2007, 06:51 AM
Boone & Crockett

"What does bother me is that what I have read so far in the document, OSHA DOES define primers, caps etc. as explosives. I hope as I read further, that they differentiate between reloading supplies and dynamite in terms of storage and handling in a workplace. I have not found that yet. Can you clue me in as to where the pertinent info might me?"

n5638b, primers, powder, and caps have always been classified as "explosives." There are different categories of "explosives." Previously OSHA had used a system that is now over 35 years out of date with what everyone else is doing.For many years DOT and the US military have usedthe "Globally Harmonized System" of explosive classification. This is a UN system in use by over 200 countries. Under each major category there are many sub-categories. I.E: 1.1 A,B,C, D etc.

Black powder; because of it's sensitivity tosparks, static electricity, heat, etc. is in a category with highexplosives.

1.1 Mass Explosion: "This includes black powder in 1.1D"

1.2 Non-Mass Explosion, Fragment Producing

1.3 Mass Fire, Minor Blast or Fragments

1.4 Moderate Fire, No Blast or Fragments: "Small Arms ammo under .50 claliber falls into 1.4S"

1.5 Explosive Substance Very Insensitive, Fragment Producing With Mass Explosion Hazard

1.6 Explosive Substance, Extremely Insensitive

Hope that this is helpful.

Old 07-11-2007, 11:06 AM

and you know whats kind of sad is that only about 15 people out of the united states have wrote OSHA.
Old 07-11-2007, 04:59 PM
Spike

Well at least OSHA extended the comment period until September...