Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

OSHA crap!

Old 07-09-2007, 08:49 PM

Default OSHA crap!

http://outdoorlife.blogs.com/newshound/2007/07/osha-rules-coul.html

ok read this crap and post your comments here. TOTAL CRAP!!
Old 07-09-2007, 09:13 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: OSHA crap!

People are aware of what is going on. And you're right it is going to be a mess should this be passed. So be sure and write your congress people and senators with your views on this matter. Make yourself heard, voice your opinion.
Old 07-09-2007, 09:38 PM

a democrat controlled congress = We're fu ed.
Old 07-10-2007, 07:50 AM
Boone & Crockett

Been doing ammunition transportation, storage and destruction since 1959.Go to the politics forum and find out that IME and SAAMI not only requested that OSHA change the rules but also wrote the proposed regulatory language. Now SAAMIis whining.Not sure if SAAMI and IME also asked that the regulation of retail sales be included in the new regulation. Been trying to get the NRA-ILA to change their form letter for about a week. The ILA representative had not even read the document. The NSSF SAAMI man, Rich Patterson, refused to talk with me on the phone.i have belonged to the NRA for over 50 years.We do not like it when Sarah Brady, Hillary, Kennedy and Shumer lie. Neither should the NRA ask its members to sign off on a letter that contains exaggerations.

OSHA does not intend to regulate the transportation ofsmall arms ammunition and re-loading components and says so in the proposed regulation: This is the realm of DOT.The boiler plate letters on the NSSF and the NRA-ILA websites contain blatant lies. Be worried only about the regulation of retail sales.

Before you sign some boiler plate letter please read the proposed regulation in detail.
Old 07-10-2007, 11:21 AM
Dominant Buck

To introduce this letter, this is in responce to my contacting Senator Herbert Kohl of Wisconsin, on the current OSHA regulation that is proposed. This was his responce to my inquiry of whether he would back Sportsmen and women of Wisconsin on killing this issue or he would back OSHA. I will let you read for yourself...

cayugad

[hr]

From Senator Herb Kohl:

I appreciate your comments regarding comprehensive Occupational Safety and Health Act (OSHA) reform. As a businessman, I certainly sympathize with your frustration with overregulation. The web of regulations governing businesses is confusing and often counterproductive. For this reason I support efforts to streamline our current regulatory structure.

Having said that, I will not support efforts to gut OSHA and severely restrict its enforcement capabilities. I firmly believe that most employers are committed to maintaining a safe workplace. However, too many Americans continue to die and suffer serious injuries and illnesses due to hazards in the workplace. I recognize that OSHA has been in place for over 20 years now and has not been reformed since its enactment. The work environment has changed greatly during this period, and technology has improved, and I agree that OSHA could be reformed to make it more effective.

I also believe that we need to encourage labor-management cooperation; it is the cornerstone of workplace safety. We must work to ensure that safety and health training programs are available on the job site. However, in accomplishing these goals, we must be careful not to place undue burdens on the business community. Most importantly, we must provide the Occupational Safety and Health Administration with the resources--both financial and personnel--necessary to promote workplace safety effectively.

As I mentioned, I share your concern about overregulation, but I will not support an OSHA reform bill that compromises efforts to save lives, prevent serious injury and illness, and preserve the overall safety and health of our workforce. Also you can be certain that I will keep your thoughts in mind as the Senate debates this issue.

Sincerely,

Herb Kohl U.S. Senator

Old 07-10-2007, 11:54 AM

So, you got the canned letter in response to all letters questioning OSHA reform that basically says.........

"FU Mr. Cayugad."

[:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@]
Old 07-10-2007, 01:08 PM
Boone & Crockett

Look, folks this is what i have been doingsince 1959. Ammunition and explosive ordnance disposal is what i do for a living. i stated on the thread at politics that i would not talk to this any more. Well, it needs talked to. There is too much mis-information out there about this proposed regulation.

It appears that very few folks are capable of reading and interpreting stuff for themselves.Every one is ready to jump on something that some one else who never even read the regulation said about it. This is the case here. The NRA-ILA rep who is driving this thing has never read the darned proposed regulation. i told the dumb bunny thatOSHA is not going to even try to regulate the transportation of small arms ammo or re-loading components and quoted him the paragraph. This is from the proposed OSHA regulation-exactly. Please note that SAAMI asked for most of these changes. Not sure whether they also asked for the regulation of retail sales.

1. SAAMI and IME wrote a 47 page document asking for changes to the regulation.

2. SAAMI and IME proposed the regulatory language. Please note that SAAMI requested that the regulation address "extraneous sources of electricity", this is where the thunderstorm stuff comes from.

3. This proposed regulation went out for comments on 13 April of 07. No one paid any attention to the document until less than two weeks ago, then SAAMI and the NRA claimed the sky was suddenly falling.

4. The only thing to be concerned about is the proposed regulation of retail sales. Most retailers in large cities already abide by most of this stuff now because they are required to abide by NFPA 495 fire code stuff as well as local fire code. Many retailers have no powder on display.

This is verbatim from the OSHA document.

"THE PETITION"

"The Petition requested OSHA to make
a number of changes to the standard,
including the following, and provided
draft regulatory language:
• Exclude the manufacture of
explosives from the PSM requirements
of § 1910.119 and incorporate revised
PSM requirements for the manufacture
of explosives into § 1910.109;
• Replace references to outdated DOT
explosives classifications with the
current DOT classification system;
• Eliminate the provisions in
§ 1910.109 covering the storage of
explosives and the construction of
magazines because they are regulated by
the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco,
Firearms, and Explosives (ATF);
• Eliminate provisions in § 1910.109
applicable to the transportation of
explosives on public highways because
such transportation is regulated by DOT;
• Update provisions for guarding
against accidental initiation by sources
of extraneous electricity;
• Include provisions governing the
intra-plant transportation of explosives;
• Include provisions for the use of
nonelectric detonation systems;
• Revise provisions regarding the
crimping of detonators to safety fuse;
• Update provisions for clearing the
blasting area of unauthorized personnel;
and
• Update the provisions for the
design of bulk delivery and mixing
vehicles and of mixing equipment.
In response to the Petition, OSHA
carefully reviewed the requirements of
the current standard and other related
OSHA standards. It analyzed the
recommendations as well as the draft
regulatory language provided in the
Petition. OSHA also examined the
regulations of other federal agencies
relating to explosives and consulted
with interested parties about the need to
revise the standard. Apart from IME and
SAAMI, these interested parties
included the International Society of
Explosives Engineers (ISEE), the
American Pyrotechnics Association
(APA), the United Steel Workers of
America (USWA), and the Paper, Allied-
Industrial, Chemical and Energy
Workers International (PACE). In
addition, OSHA consulted with other
Federal agencies about their explosives
regulations and procedures. These
Federal agencies included the DOT,
ATF, the Interagency Committee on
Explosives (ICE), the Department of
Defense Explosives Safety Board
(DDESB), the Consumer Product Safety
Commission (CPSC), and the Mine
Safety and Health Administration.
Based upon its review of the Petition
and the standard, OSHA has concluded
that the following actions are
appropriate. These actions are discussed
in greater detail in the summary and
explanation section of the proposed rule
(see section III).
A. Update the Standard
Workplace hazards associated with
explosives activities pose significant
risks to employees. OSHA has
determined that the existing standard
needs to be updated to adequately
protect employees from these risks."

SAAMI asked that the reg be updated and changed. Now they are whining that the sky is falling. Rich Patterson, the SAAMI guy at the NSSF refused to talk with meon this issue.
Old 07-10-2007, 01:17 PM
Dominant Buck

That is kind of the way I read it also...
Old 07-10-2007, 01:51 PM
Boone & Crockett

"That is kind of the way I read it also..."

SAAMI sure did get their members who manufactureammunition and re-loading components into deep hot water. OSHA excercised very little authority over the manuafacure of explosives and small arms ammunition. No one ever saw OSHA unless there was a bad accident. Then someone at IME and SAAMI rocked the boat. Bet thatSAAMI hired the typical "expert" torequest the changes without consulting with all their members.

i remember a few years ago when OSHA got excited about young kids drowning in buckets on construction sites. The OSHA answer:A bucket with holes in it so it could not hold water-it did not fly.

Old 07-10-2007, 03:56 PM
Dominant Buck

http://outdoorlife.blogs.com/newshound/2007/07/osha-rules-coul.html

an interesting read... it would be a good idea to post your opinions and contact anyone with influence as to how you feel about all of this.

Quick Reply: OSHA crap!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.