Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Casting Temperatures...................... >

Casting Temperatures......................

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Casting Temperatures......................

Old 07-09-2007, 02:36 PM
Typical Buck

Default Casting Temperatures......................

Just finished casting a bunch of .50cal Maxi [Lyman]in a steel mold.Found it took a while to get the mold to the correct casting temp.as opposed to the .54 TC aluminum mold.With the aluminum molds the first bullet looks as good as the last one.Had about 10 crappy rejects with the steel mold before it settled in.Yes I degreased it before using it.I'm new at casting but it's lots of fun and economical as well.Am also using a Lee electric pot that works pretty good for the price............Harold [any tips?]
Old 07-09-2007, 03:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Casting Temperatures......................

It does take longer to warm up the steel mold, but once you get her warmed up-look out. The aluminum molds are the opposite. They get too hot too fast. Aluminum molds are fine if you do not cast a lot. The stell mold's will last forever if you take care of them.

I do not know why but you get what you pay for in molds. I have a couple of RCBS molds, and they are unbelievabe in the way they cast bullets.Tom.
Old 07-09-2007, 04:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Casting Temperatures......................

I agree that iron or steel moulds remain more uniform in temperature after they are at the correct heat. RCBS moulds are excellent, but I have had good results with Lyman, NEI and Rapine moulds as well. I have also had good results with SOME Lee moulds, but not all of the ones I have. I think Lee moulds are a little trickier to use, because one MUST maintain a specific casting rythme, due to the fact that they not only heat up fast, but they also cool off faster than iron, steel, or brass moulds.