Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 New bullet to try out >

New bullet to try out

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

New bullet to try out

Old 07-09-2007, 01:12 PM

Default New bullet to try out

I bought some 360 grain Minie conicals off ebay a few days ago and im going to try them out in the winchester x-150 in a few minutes and see how they shoot. They are a SOB to load but that may be a good thing. Im going to use 80 grains pyrodex RS and set up a 50 yard target. Hope these shoot good! I bought 50 of them for $15 shipped.
Old 07-09-2007, 01:16 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: New bullet to try out

The minnies I cast fall right down the barrel of my rifles. This will be interesting to see how well they shoot out of your rifle. With that big chunk of lead they should really make a hole.
Old 07-09-2007, 01:40 PM

First 4 shots at 20 yards were the size of a quarter and all in the bulls eye. Im going to swab and then try 3 shots at 50 yards. So far 80 grains seems good, but i may move it up to 90 and possibly try 100.
Old 07-09-2007, 02:00 PM

1" 3 shot group @ 50 yards. I think i can tighten that to 1/2" once i up the charge to 90 grains. I'll also try a wad and see if that works. Shooting is done for today, damn rain. But so far i am very happy with the bullets and how they've been shooting. Now im goingto have a really tough choice picking which bullet i want to use this september But thats a good thing right? Means i have a very good assortment of bullets i can try on animals over the years.
Old 07-09-2007, 02:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: frontier gander

I bought some 360 grain Minie conicals off ebay a few days ago and im going to try them out in the winchester x-150 in a few minutes and see how they shoot. They are a SOB to load but that may be a good thing. Im going to use 80 grains pyrodex RS and set up a 50 yard target. Hope these shoot good! I bought 50 of them for $15 shipped.
$15 for 50 shipped, what are they made of? Sounds like they shoot well, now you got a problem, what gun are you going to hunt with and what bullet are you going to hunt with given you selected the rifle.
Chap
Old 07-09-2007, 02:53 PM

Ive decided that i will hunt with my deer creek .45 mountain rifle with 80 grains T7 and a 225 powerbelt, perfect out to 150 yards. If i can get a buck tag in the left over draw, i'll use the winchester. Im taking both rifles with me incase i have any problems.

They are made out of soft lead. No wheel weights or such. Pure lead.

I may also get an OTC bull elk tag and hunt locally in October. But i will use my new .54 flintlock mountan rifle and PRB for that hunt I wanna give it a try just to experience the thrill.
Old 07-09-2007, 04:43 PM

wow i just took 3 more shots now that the weather cleared up. 3 shots @ 50 yards and i swabbed between each shot gave me horrible results. Im loading up 3 more speed loaders and going to shoot again but this time with a dirty bore.
Old 07-09-2007, 05:18 PM

These things stink! I think this guy sized them way wrong. I got a couple that i almost had to run to the shop to get a hammer to push them down. They arnt grouping at all with 90 grains. Im going to clean the rifle again, switch back to the CCI primers and 80 grains RS. So far thats the only load that shot well. Remington kleanbores again shot like junk and the federals did ok. Winchester w209's did horrible. One more cleaning job and 3 more shots and im calling it a day. They measure .503 1/2 on the caplipers and i think this is whats causing the problems. I prefer a .501 from BS and those shot great.
Just try a lower charge and see what happens.
Old 07-09-2007, 06:03 PM

So i adjusted down to 80 grains. Shot the 3 with CCI primers. First shot is always low, while the other 2 group tight. Im not complaing now lol, I'll just leave it at 80 grains, try a wad in the morning and see if it will tighten them up. Im done for. 20 shots today in a couple hours was more than enough for me. Now i will adjust my sights up a hair and shot 3 more tomorrow and get it an inch high and then pull back to 100.