Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Please evaluate my cleaning/bore butter method >

Please evaluate my cleaning/bore butter method

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Please evaluate my cleaning/bore butter method

Old 07-09-2007, 04:54 PM
Fork Horn

Default Please evaluate my cleaning/bore butter method

Ive put this is a post before, but no one has really siad much - dumb, pointless, good idea, creative and life changing.

After reading Metaldonnies problem about getting the nipple saturated and stuck full of bore butter (possibly) I wanted to call attention to this method which , in my opinion, is the best way to not only clean your BP, but to apply bore butter effectively.

Remove breech plug and spray scalding hot steam from a handheld steam cleaner down towards the muzzle - with the muzzle resting on a wadded up towel or something to absorb the moisture.

Do this untill the barrel becomes superheated, so that you cant even touch it - then run your patches down the muzzle with or without cleaner. Anything will just melt away with the first four patches and be as clean as you can get.

Dry the barrel thouroughly inside and out with towels and dry patches. Whisle the barrel is still super hot, then apply your bore butter, less on the patch that you ususally would - and swab. You can feel it melt and coat the barrel in a thin manner. This keeps it from globbing up and gumming up for when you are ready to shoot next.

It cleans out easier the next time you go to shoot, it is more of the yellow color instead of a brown black sludge which seems grimy to me sometimes.

The difference between this and holding it in hot soapy water is temperature. This steam comes out hotter than boiling water so it breaks sludge down and cleans better and keeps the barrel hotter for bore butter applying.

I like to use bore butter because it feels natural to me and I like the smell. If there is something to the "seasoning" of the barrell, I want to be abvle to have it. I know that some people think that the seasoning is for cooking pots, but the people at TC mention it and its importance whenever they talk about cleaning.

Mabye that was too long - do whatever works for you. But if you already have a steamer like this I reccommend trying it once, it is faster and easier to me.
Old 07-09-2007, 06:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Please evaluate my cleaning/bore butter method

ORIGINAL: andrewjoseph

Ive put this is a post before, but no one has really siad much - dumb, pointless, good idea, creative and life changing.

After reading Metaldonnies problem about getting the nipple saturated and stuck full of bore butter (possibly) I wanted to call attention to this method which , in my opinion, is the best way to not only clean your BP, but to apply bore butter effectively.

Remove breech plug and spray scalding hot steam from a handheld steam cleaner down towards the muzzle - with the muzzle resting on a wadded up towel or something to absorb the moisture.

Do this untill the barrel becomes superheated, so that you cant even touch it - then run your patches down the muzzle with or without cleaner. Anything will just melt away with the first four patches and be as clean as you can get.

Dry the barrel thouroughly inside and out with towels and dry patches. Whisle the barrel is still super hot, then apply your bore butter, less on the patch that you ususally would - and swab. You can feel it melt and coat the barrel in a thin manner. This keeps it from globbing up and gumming up for when you are ready to shoot next.

It cleans out easier the next time you go to shoot, it is more of the yellow color instead of a brown black sludge which seems grimy to me sometimes.

The difference between this and holding it in hot soapy water is temperature. This steam comes out hotter than boiling water so it breaks sludge down and cleans better and keeps the barrel hotter for bore butter applying.

I like to use bore butter because it feels natural to me and I like the smell. If there is something to the "seasoning" of the barrell, I want to be abvle to have it. I know that some people think that the seasoning is for cooking pots, but the people at TC mention it and its importance whenever they talk about cleaning.

Mabye that was too long - do whatever works for you. But if you already have a steamer like this I reccommend trying it once, it is faster and easier to me.
Well it is not life changing, and it is not pointless. That leaves dumb, good idea and creative. I would go for creative, if you clean your gun with hot water. I don't since I feel the water leads to rust, so I use alcohol and Windshield Washer fluid or rusty duck (from Walmart). For those who like the hot bath approach, the method you describe may be easier, I know it works on taking off wallpaper (my wife has one of those steam cleaners). I also don't like the ideal of the gun getting so hot it burns you, that happens also with hot scaling water, so that is a safety hazard to me. So that leadsme to conclude good idea if you use hot water baths. Chap Gleason
Old 07-09-2007, 06:22 PM
Boone & Crockett

andrewjoseph

Bore Butter - there is a huge love/hate relationship when using BB... I do use it and it works well for me. I firmly believe it is all in the method that yu apply the stuff... if you gunk it down the barrel it will cause you a problem sooner or later...

Here is what i do... if it make any sense... it was wrtten a long time ago soooooo here it tis...

To all

On this knowledgeable & intellectual board I really almost hate to get in on this strand, but since I am so stubborn I guess I will. Maybe it will be buried far enough into the strand nobody will read it any way.

I am a bore butter user have been using it for the six or seven years that I have been shooting ML's - inlines and sidehammers, and I shoot a lot. I really am not trying to recruit or stretch any of the tales at all either. I do not suffer the "crud ring" - plastic fouling - and/or very little powder fouling. I have never used a bronze bore brush in any of the ML's to remove anything. The bores feel glass smooth. Inserting sabots is a dream - not like Power Belts but no short starter required. I believe I am achieving very good accuracy for me with excellent velocities if my chrono is not lieing.

I really believe it the manner in which you use BB that makes the difference. The most shinning demonstration I can relate to you all is in my trap guns. After a day of trap shooting my chokes would be ladened with black plastic fouling from the wads being constricted down at that point. On occasion I would even shoot a strip of plastic fouling out of the trap and it would float the ground in front of me. This actually really use to concern me because I felt I might be affecting or changing the shot pattern through the day as I shot. I now treat my chokes with BB and I am sitting here looking at my Modified choke that has 225 rounds through it - I can see stainless steel all the way around the choke it is dark but it is not black - even the ports are semi clean. If you have a shotgun with screw in chokes that you have shot put a bit of BB on your little finger and rub it around in there - you will see what I mean the plastic melts off on to your finger.

All of this said I will also say that I do not rely on BB as a lubricant or a bore protector or anything to do with "seasoning" - it's soul purpose in life is to reduce fouling - which I am convinced it does. I know with my ML's I can can shoot 4-5 shoots with out patching and without having a detrimental effect on accuracy. One of my goals this week end is take one of the sidehammers and one of the inlines out and see how many shots I can get off without patching... IF the downpour stops.

As I said I feel the method of application is the difference. I know that a lot of you are going to be wildly against this but as people have so often said "if'n it is not broke don't fix it" so far it is not broke here in Idaho.

Here is what I do:

Barrel Care: this is really a hot topic with a ton of different thoughts - you will develop your own care plan over time.

The use of Bore Butter - I really believe it is a good product but I also believe there is right way and a wrong way to use it in modern day ML's not using real Black Powder.

I almost hate to mention this because it is going to start up a huge discussion again.... I shoot sabots exclusively in 6 different ML guns and 4 different shot guns - 2 of them high quality trap guns. I do not get plastic fouling in any of the ML's and I now can also say I have reduced the plastic fouling in my shotgun chokes drastically. OK here is the dirty word "bore butter"

I believe if it is applied in what I think is the correct method it really reduces fouling.... Example if you have a shot gun with screw chokes after you have shot several rounds through the choke take the choke out and look at it. It will black and streaky with plastic fouling - put a little BB on your finger and rub it around in the choke - you will really be surprised at what happens to the plastic fouling.

My feelings are "how the bore butter is applied is the real key" - It should not be caked inside the barrel or added to the sabots as a lubricant, nor should it be used as a spit-patch.

The ONLY time I use BB is in a HOT barrel after cleaning and when the barrel is dry. Apply BB to a cotton bore swab and run it down the barrel, the hotter the barrel the better, because the pores are wide open. When you pull the bore swab out you will not believe what has happen, the pores in the barrel will literally suck up the BB completely remove it from your brush. I do this a couple of times - then while the barrel is still warm dry patch it with a clean patch and get as much of the loose BB out as you can. After it has cooled repeat the patch process. The only BB that remains will be in the pores and a small amount trapped behind the lands. Your first shot will remove that also. The final step is to apply a light of coat of quality gun oil. What you have now is a clean and smooth barrel, I really would not use the words "a seasoned barrel" because it is not... what it is a smooth bore less prone to cause friction. This coating last for several rounds releasing a bit each time it is fired.

Lots of people are going to disagree but that is what 6 years of experience has shown me and others. It is all in how you APPLY IT.

Another thing I do not battle and I think it is again because of BB - I do not get the "crud ring" in any of my ML's and I use t7 loose powder with 209 ignition in the inlines and #11 on the sidehammers.

Now, all of this is my opinion and your results may not be the same - BUT don't shoot the messenger - the non BB folks are a lot more vocal than the bb users.

Old 07-09-2007, 06:54 PM

Ive always used the bore butter after i dried my barrel and it was still hot. Never any problems with it causing misfires or Duds. When i go to shoot, i just run a couple dry patches, pour my powder and load the ball. The problem that donnie had, cva's are prone to not filling the drum, my fathers cabelas hawken is the same way and needs to be tipped over slightly to the side so powder fills that area and then a few taps on the side insures that powder has filled the drum. My old TC renegade i had, had to have the same thing done. Maybe its the thicker grain from the pyrodex that may be plugging up the hole and now allowing the powder to flow into the drum. Who knows. I only use BB when im shooting PRB's out of my sidelocks. My inline gets zero lube/oil after cleaning.
Old 07-09-2007, 09:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Or after cleaning - I often use Simple Green followed by an alcohol patch, spray a little Sheath on a patch, run it down the bore and you are done.
Unless you seek a different method to deal with fowling like SL.
lately been using a new product - Gunzilla - that cleans and lubricates as well as smells good. 3 to 5 patches and the barrel is spotless and stays that way. www.topduckproducts.com
Not anti BB - just don't have the need with what I shoot.

Steve
Old 07-09-2007, 09:29 PM
Boone & Crockett

SteveBNy

you know I totally forgot to mention that - I have found a really good alternative for BB also.

It is a lubricant cleaner that is NOT oil based it really does work well.

Slip 2000

http://www.slip2000.com/

This stuff has gradually or is gradually replacing BB for me - it truly is the best of both worlds - expensive - but a little bit goes a long long ways....

I use the Gun Lubricant - cleaner - preservative variety...
Gun Lubricants
SLiP2000™ Lubricants are specially formulated, non-toxic, non-hazardous, synthetic lubricants. SLiP2000™ Lubricants are a cleaner, lubricant and preservative. There are currently 2 SLiP2000™ lubricants available, SLiP2000™ Gun Lubricant, SLiP2000™ EWL (Extreme Weapons Lubricant)

http://www.slip2000.com/lubricant_info.html

Old 07-10-2007, 06:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

That one looks great too!
As far as expensive, it is about the same as the Gunzilla I am using.
Paid about $25 for a 16oz bottle at the Harrisburg sport show - have cleaned at least a dozen bp guns and don't think I have used an oz.
I have been experimenting with 1st shot accuracy without cleaning it out or fowling the bore and have 2 of my Whites as well as my bp shotgun hitting the same.
I never minded the cleaning, but this product is making it easier and almost fun.

Steve