Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

mizzy wheel?

Old 07-04-2007, 05:36 PM
Spike

Default mizzy wheel?

I have read a few posts here abount using a mizzy wheel to sharpen agate type flints (tc especially). I have looked all over for a "mizzy wheel". I believe they are an attachmentfor a dremel tool but nobody here has even heard of them. where can i get one as I have a pile on flints that need a new edge. also I am about out of 2f black but I have a whole can of 3f. I am going to drop my charge from 90 to 75 grains with the smaller powder I hope this is a good idea. I'm sure somebody has tried this, what was your experience?
Old 07-04-2007, 07:22 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: mizzy wheel?

http://www.americanjewelrysupply.com/products/abrasives/wheel.html

Mizzy wheels do fit on the dremel tool. You might want to pick up a shaft from them for it. They will sharpen flints and they are excellent for taking the hump off a fat flint...
Old 07-04-2007, 07:56 PM

ORIGINAL: nysbowhunter

I have read a few posts here abount using a mizzy wheel to sharpen agate type flints (tc especially). I have looked all over for a "mizzy wheel". I believe they are an attachmentfor a dremel tool but nobody here has even heard of them. where can i get one as I have a pile on flints that need a new edge. also I am about out of 2f black but I have a whole can of 3f. I am going to drop my charge from 90 to 75 grains with the smaller powder I hope this is a good idea. I'm sure somebody has tried this, what was your experience?
This is far superior to a mizzy wheel...used them both...these diamond cutting wheels go through flint like butter...don't inhale the dust.

Dremel Diamond Cutter (grinding) wheel

Found them at WidgetSupply.com...They are in the category of burrs & cutters...not 'grinders' as I had always been searching.

http://www.widgetsupply.com/page/WS/PROD/dremel-diamond-wheel-1/BDL34

Old 07-04-2007, 08:02 PM
Dominant Buck

I never heard of them Roundball.. thanks for the link. Always looking for a better machine. I have a few humpbacks that need to be thinned down. Although I burned out my dremel, so I need to get one of them again too..
Old 07-04-2007, 08:43 PM
Spike

Thanks guys I appreciate the response. Also the tip about not breathing the dust is a good one. Now too order the diamond wheel, my flinter eats up the flints I have tried angles and depths and all sorts of ways to try to get more life but I have used up a heap of expensive flints. I am going to try some black english flints next time out. I shoot a cva plainsman 50 cal flinter and when it goes off quickly its as good a shooter as I've seen.