Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 misleading you all >

misleading you all

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

misleading you all

Old 06-30-2007, 06:49 PM

Default misleading you all

IM SORRY ABOUT SAYING I WAS SHOOTING HALF INCH GROUP AT 100 YARDS FREEHAND.IT DID HAPPEN.BUT MY LEFT SHOULDER WAS AGAINST A TREE.I WAS OUT SHOOTING TODAY.I PUT A NEW SCOPE ON THIS MOURNING.I SHOT 5 PAPERS 5 TIMES.IM AROUND DEAD ON AND 1 INCH TO THE RIGHT.SO I WAS LUCKY.
Old 06-30-2007, 07:27 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: misleading you all

Bear6 the reason people commented on your claim of a 1/2 inch group is.. if you consider a .452 projectile is almost 1/2 inch by itself. A half inch being .500 of course. That would mean all the shots would have basically had to hit the same hole. Even with your shoulder leaning against a tree, that is still good shooting. To do it with open sights is amazing. Personally even with a scope, if I shoot a 2" group I am very pleased, although I keep on shooting. I have clover leafed a few times at 100 yards, and once I got almost a one hole group.

I was working up a load in my Black Diamond XR at 100 yards shooting 375 gr Buffalo Bullet Co SSB all lead projectiles. My rifle really likes them. This was at the end of a long day on the range. I was just about to call it a day when the UPS man showed up with new bullets to try.

What kind of scope did you mount? What load are you shooting?
Old 07-01-2007, 07:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

No worries, most of us can see right through the BS!

All kidding aside, 1/2" groups would be remarkable from a bench and a vise! I only wish I could shoot HALF as well on my BEST day!

Good luck with your new scope and keep it straight from now on.
Old 07-01-2007, 08:40 AM

Bear6.....don't worry about it. Have fun and shoot straight!
Old 07-01-2007, 10:42 AM
Typical Buck

If you hit the target at 100 yds with open sights and off handyou're doing better than I am,with thse old eyes its hard for me to get past the barrel.But with a scope I don't do too bad once in awhile.Thats off a bench not braced on a tree.
To give you an idea how big a 1/2 in is with a muzzleloader you can see below.You still have to use a little imagnations because these groups are bigger that 1/2 in.
As oldrookie said"don't worry about it have fun and shoot straight."

Old 07-01-2007, 01:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Herman, that top group is NOT bigger than 1/2"!

Bear6, lose the caps lock and get your head on straight.

http://www.missouri-whitetails.com/data/1/49bigboys.jpg
Old 07-01-2007, 06:53 PM
Typical Buck

Didn't know for sure just took for granted it was bigger.Shot that on another guys target at the range last year,those little holes with the X was what he shot.That was with a 40 caliber sst also.
Have only took the muzzleloader to the range twice this year,it has been so hot just haven't been able to get the get up and go with them.
do take turns taking the reg rifles at least once a week,get some pretty nice one holers with them sometimes.
That 3rd group down was the first 3 bullets I shot that morning with my regular hunting load out of the savage.I really went to try some Rl-7 powder and a newer lot number of 4759 and some 250 gr xtp's.Shot 3 more groups after the next pic,but weren't impressive.By that time it was getting hot so put the muzzleloader away and played with some reg rifles.

Old 07-01-2007, 08:02 PM

herman....that group shouldn't count if you were hitting your buddy's target and you were aiming elsewhere.
Old 07-02-2007, 12:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Maybe I misunderstood which group was yours but the ones that are circled and indicate being shot from Encore are no more than 1/2" and maybe a good bit less. The first three in the image below would have been a 1/4" group if I had stopped at three. Shot 4 was nothing but my nerves giving out and shot 5 was a "who cares"!!

But NONE of the groups I posted were shot off-hand. Way back in the day, I might have fired a few under 1" at FIFTY YARDS off-hand, maybe, if, on occasion, but only sometimes...
Old 07-02-2007, 03:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

I know for myself, if I can shoot a 4" group out of the .50 with open sights and using roundball I am doing pretty darned good. I pretty much figure that if I can keep it within that 4" dead is dead when shooting at an animal.

Quick Reply: misleading you all

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.