Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Loose vs pellets

Old 07-08-2007, 10:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Loose vs pellets

With muzzleloaders you are handloading every shot...Why would a handloader restrict himself to certain powder charges???

You are also shooting a single shot gun, make the 1st count, forget about a fast 2nd...After I discharge my weapon, I stop and clean the barrel before reloading, even when hunting, the key to accuracy is having the barrel in the same condition for each shot...
Old 07-08-2007, 12:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: txfireman

I thought through the same issue last year until one day shooting at the deer lease using Pyrodex pellets and 250 gr. Shockwaves. I had touching consistant groups 3" high at 100 yards. Shot over 15-20 times and had no issues. With that being said, I'm going with the if it isn't broke, don't fix it.
You shouldn't, I you have a load that is working for you in your rifles, why change it? Use it and good luck. Chap Gleason
Old 07-11-2007, 09:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

I beg to differ with some of the things said on here but again everyone has and opion. I used to used pellets until a knowledgable Bp man on this site. proved to me that they were very inconsistant. I will pass this along to you.Weigh each pellet and see the difference in weight. Plus you are so restrictive to the gr. of powder you can use. I use 110 gr. 777 let me see you fet that in a pellet. Which is what my gun likes best. And I get fantastic groups with it. I try pellets and my groups open up terriable and are inconsistant. I am a photographer by trade and I can only put this into the difference between using a instamatic camera vers a Nikon. You spend a lot of money on your gun why not take the time and get the most out of it it really makes all the difference in the world.