Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Pellets or loose?

Old 12-12-2005, 03:39 PM

Default Pellets or loose?

What is your preference? Pellets or loose and why? How hard is it to deal with loose in the field. I am new to Muzzleloading and am trying to decide which way to go with my powder selection. I have a T/c Omega
Old 12-12-2005, 03:52 PM

Default RE: Pellets or loose?

Pellets are pretty convenient and have improved ignition consistency for charges above 120 grains -at least with the Pyrodex pellets. They are quite a bit more expensive, though,and don't offer the "fine tuning" option that loose powder provides. As far as loading in hunting situations, the loose powder loads great if you pre-measure it in a speedloader or other small container.
Old 12-12-2005, 04:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have been muzzle loading since 1960 and I have come to the conclusion that if you want the best accuracy you feed the gun what it likes and keep an open mind. Lee
Old 12-12-2005, 05:24 PM
Dominant Buck

If all a person was going to do is shoot a few shots each year to make sure the rifle was on and then hunt with the rifle, I would not see a problem with them using pellets. If a person on the other hand wants to go to the range and shoot a great deal, then pellets can get to expensive and loose powder is a better option.

I have never bought pellets although shota few loads from others and they worked fine. I just never could see the need for buying them when loose is so much cheaper.
Old 12-12-2005, 05:32 PM

I only have a few season's under my belt and use loose T7 and have been happy with the results at the range. I use some speed loaders and keep and extra load with me while hunting, pop the cap, pour your loose in and load another sabot/bullet combo of your liking. Seems easy enough to me. I imagine you would have to keep your pellets in a small container to prevent breakage, but that's a guess.

I've never tried the pellets yet, and with two boys and the wife who occasionally shoot with me, loose is more economical overall.

Good luck.
Old 12-12-2005, 05:54 PM

Pauly you will geta more consistent and cleaner burn with granular over pellets (assuming you are talking about a quality rifle to begin with that has a properly designed ignition system like those from Knight, Savage, T/C etc...). Obviously being able to fine tune the load for a particular rifle is a plus as well. Lastyear I went too a Savage smokeless, hadI not I was about to go with an Omega and my first "test load" would've been 150grns of T7 under 250SSTs and go from there (downward obviously).

Good luck,
RA
Old 12-12-2005, 08:29 PM
Fork Horn

I started off with pellets as I found out it was the easy way to go if you are a neophyte to ML.I tried T7 pellets with sabots and they were difficult to load in my gun. I switched to pyro. pellets with powerbelts and found them to be allright. After doing a lot of reading on this forum I decidednext spring I would get some loose APP or pinnacle in fffg along with some .429 hornady bullets with greenMMP sabots. I hope I can find a suitable combination that will allow me to shoot to 150 yards.
Old 12-12-2005, 08:42 PM

when your talking about pellets and powder..does it both use the same grain scale or is one more powerful then the other?
Old 12-13-2005, 06:07 AM
Fork Horn

This is what I found out from reading various poststhat 2pellets of pyrodex (100 grains) is equal to about 85-90 grains of loose pyrodex powder in ffg. If you want to use loose fffgthen you can go to about 75-80 grains for the equivalent amount.Is this the correct way to look at it for the people who have a lot more experience than me?
Old 12-13-2005, 12:42 PM
Typical Buck

Pellets are really more "Marketing Fluff" than actually anything spectacular.

Loose powder is where it's at with a 5-grain measure for:
[ul][*]Best, consistant accuracy.[*]Widest projectile & load development variability[*]Lowest cost. (up to 35% less).[*]Lowest cost to find a decent shooting load. You can dial powder charges to match a projectile versus matching projectiles that print with a given pellet charge.[/ul]
For the occassional shooter that only hunt's with the one load, and shoots a few times a year, then pellets are fine I suppose.

If you enjoy shooting ML's and working up various loads foryour rifle(s), then loose powder is the ticket.

Tahquamenon