Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Loose Powder VS. Pellets >

Loose Powder VS. Pellets

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Loose Powder VS. Pellets

Old 11-30-2006, 05:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Loose Powder VS. Pellets

I over heard a guy yesterday at work saying 100gr of loose powder is equivalent to 150gr of pellets.

Any truth to that?
Old 11-30-2006, 05:48 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Loose Powder VS. Pellets

Not true. In the Triple Se7en pellets, they are equal to Pyrodex Pellets and technically Pyrodex loose RS. In loose form Triple Se7en 2f is approximately 15% stronger then Pyrodex RS loose. The main thing to remember for max loads is, if you were shooting 150 grains of pellets as a max load, most people consider 120 grains of loose to be the max load.

Its not really all that complicated. I just explained it poorly.
Old 11-30-2006, 06:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have been shooting 120gr of 777 pellets (4-30gr pellets). I had recently bought some 777 FFG powder.

I have a CVA Wolf "Magnum". Should I go any higher than 120gr of the 777 FFG powder?
Old 11-30-2006, 06:25 PM
Dominant Buck

With loose powder the CVA wolf is rated for only 100 grains. So do not exceed the manufacturer's recommendations. Also I am not sure I would even go that high with pellets or loose, but that's your decision.
Old 11-30-2006, 07:15 PM
Fork Horn

I agree don't go over the manufactures recommenditions.
Old 11-30-2006, 07:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

It's a magnum rifle. Why could I shoot 150gr of pellets but only 100gr of loose ffg powder?

So would would 90gr of powder equal 90gr of pellets?

I see in the manual now about max loads for pellets vs. powder. 100gr is the max for ffg powder.
Old 11-30-2006, 08:23 PM

CVA Wolf is a magnum rifle. CVA/bpi recommend 100-130 grains loose powder for the most accurate loads. you can use 150 grain bullets in pyrodex safely. And supposedly T7 pellets equal the same as pyro pellets so there you go. Ive shot over a hundred rounds with 150 grains loose pyro RS in my rifle. You just get tighter groups with the 100-130 grain loads. Dont you have a manual for that rifle? My rifles sweet spot is with 120 grains pyro rs and either a 245 or 295 powerbelt.
Old 11-30-2006, 08:31 PM
Dominant Buck

No matter what make of rifle, and no matter what anyone tells you. You want to play it safe, follow the recommendations of the manufacturer. Of course look close on a Hodgdon's site sometime and see what they claim is a safe max load with their powders as well. I have a CVA Staghorn Magnum. I limit the rifle to 100 grains no matter what kind of powder I use. Whether the rifle can use more powder means nothing to me as it is all I allow the rifle to use. This is my own personal limits I placed on the rifle for my personal safety. Its what I feel safe shooting. What every you chose to shoot is your business.
Old 11-30-2006, 08:32 PM
Typical Buck

Cayugad is the ml god listen use loose youll get a lot better groups most likly
Old 11-30-2006, 08:48 PM

The guy wanted to know why hewas told that he cantshoot 150 loads out of his wolf. He can shoot it, you just have to load it and shoot. But cva recommends loads between 100-130 grains for best accuracy. CVA also tells me that you can safely shoot 130 grains loose powder with no problems. Now i on the other hand prefer my load of 120 grains pyrodex rs and the 245 hollow point powerbelt for shots up to 150 yards. Same with my traditions flintlock, its honey spot is 110 grains goex 3f with PRB. I still have to experiment with the powerbelts in it. Looks promising though. I always get the , load it with only 80 grains and the groups will tighten. Not true, my shots open up with 80-90 grain loads. You just have to buy one bullet, one type of powder and shoot it for a while and then slowly change some stuff around. You cant really ask others what they use and expect it to work the same for you. You can ask around and get a general idea of things to use, but until you shoot them and work it out yourself, you'll never know what your gun will like.

Quick Reply: Loose Powder VS. Pellets

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.