Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Proposed rule changes for shipping blackpowder >

Proposed rule changes for shipping blackpowder

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Proposed rule changes for shipping blackpowder

Old 06-28-2007, 12:43 PM

Default Proposed rule changes for shipping blackpowder

[font="arial, helvetica"][/size]Here's the official source...

1) Select OSHA
2) Select Proposed rules
Then click SUBMIT
When the page opens for Explosives...click the Adobe PDF icon a couple inches down from the top.

http://www.regulations.gov/fdmspublic/component/ main

Better get some spare cases on the way...family & relatives, friends, neighbors...[/size]
Old 06-28-2007, 01:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Proposed rule changes for shipping blackpowder

Might as well just go to Pyrodex right now. If you don't want to do that then we have to take action.
Old 06-28-2007, 01:27 PM
Dominant Buck

all I get is an error message. What is the breakdown of the new rules?
Old 06-28-2007, 01:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

http://www.shilohrifle.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=9088
Old 06-28-2007, 01:46 PM
Dominant Buck

I always wondered in the back of my mind when something like this would come about. When these kind of rules are made, they do not care about the impact on the little people, meaning us. I am sending out letters to my representatives. I want them to know that this kind of thing well be considered in all future political support by myself.
Old 06-28-2007, 02:01 PM
Boone & Crockett

Not sure what it says, the link will not work. i can tell you this, OSHA is not the lead agency or regulatory authority for explosives and black powder. i'm a federally licensed user ofhigh explosives. The ATFE is the lead agency for alllicensing of users,storage, and inventory of explosives used by civlians. ATFE conductscomplianceinspections and tells folks what can be shipped and not shipped by air express and how it will be stored.In many respects ATF explosive storage rules are more stringent than military explosive storage rules. DOT gets its nose in there on shipments.If somethinggets lostin shipment or stolen from storage it is the ATFE who is coming to town.

There are several federal agencies whoget in explosive shipping, storage and use. First there is the military, for militaryonly. Then there is the US Army Corps of Engineers for COE stuff only. OSHA has its own little Mickey Mouse crap, that pertainsonly where nothing else applies.In 25 years i've never seen a situation where OSHA rules applied.

Old 06-28-2007, 02:51 PM

The corrected link is:

http://www.regulations.gov/fdmspublic/component/main
Old 06-28-2007, 06:25 PM
Boone & Crockett

Thanks for the link. Scanned the proposed rules. Me thinks it is not a big deal. There were very few comments on this proposed rule until today. Most of those were by private individuals who use black powder recreationally. So far as storage and shipment goes it is my belief the ATF rules will prevail. Several years ago the ATF prohibited the shipment of certain explosive materialsby UPS and FEDEX shipment. When a whole bunch of oil fieldjobs and government contractorjobswere shut down or nearly shut down, ATF relented.Furthermore, i believe that OSHA rules do not apply to most gun shops since they do not have 10 or more employees. It is my personal belief that a lot of guns shops do not want to be bothered with black powder, so they do not order it.

Any kind of explosives can be shipped by a less than truckload (LTL) carrier. Did you ever see a trailer on the road with placards all over it?These guys haul all kinds of stuff, including hazardous materials.When i worked here locally, the truck driver would call me when he left Wal-Mart to tell me he was on his way with my high explosives and detonators.

http://www.allbusiness.com/human-resources/workplace-health-safety-employment/11512-1.html

"There are[/i] exceptions to the OSHA regulations for some small businesses. For example, there is a partial exemption for employers with 10 or fewer employees. Small businesses of that size do not have to keep OSHA injury and illness records unless OSHA or the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) informs them in writing that they must keep records."

"In addition to small businesses with less than 10 employees, businesses in certain industries are also exempt from OSHA’s regulations. If your business establishment is classified in a specific low-hazard retail, service, finance, insurance, or real estate industry, you do not need to keep OSHA injury and illness records unless the government asks you to. However, all employers must report to OSHA any workplace incident that results in a fatality or the hospitalization of three or more employees."

"There are[/i] exceptions to the OSHA regulations for some small businesses. For example, there is a partial exemption for employers with 10 or fewer employees. Small businesses of that size do not have to keep OSHA injury and illness records unless OSHA or the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) informs them in writing that they must keep records."

"In addition to small businesses with less than 10 employees, businesses in certain industries are also exempt from OSHA’s regulations. If your business establishment is classified in a specific low-hazard retail, service, finance, insurance, or real estate industry, you do not need to keep OSHA injury and illness records unless the government asks you to. However, all employers must report to OSHA any workplace incident that results in a fatality or the hospitalization of three or more employees."
Old 06-28-2007, 07:21 PM

Can you believe a 55 page document to make a proposal ?? My intrepretation is if this OSHA based proposal is adopted, it'll serve to eliminate all shipments of Black Powder by UPS, FedEx, DHL, etc. Only the common carriers that are already doing the bulk hauling will be available. There will be no Black Powder available at the gun shops, only direct from the distributors, unless you ship by the semi-load.

I posted it here due to my predominant interest in Flintlocks which require real black powder...BUT...this isn't just aimed at blackpowder...it has implications for all transported gun powders used by reloaders, etc.

Its all couched by OSHA in terms of being worried for the safety of employees involved in the transportation of such powders...which has never been an issue in the past, so the obvious conclusion is that this is another backdoor attempt to continue making forms of firearms shooting so aggravating and expensive to pursue that the average joe will discontinue the practice.

A member of another Forum has contacted the NRA and received a response confirming the OSHA proposal is true, and that they (NRA) are trying to get in front of it and get it killed.
Old 06-29-2007, 06:44 AM
Boone & Crockett

"A member of another Forum has contacted the NRA and received a response confirming the OSHA proposal is true, and that they (NRA) are trying to get in front of it and get it killed."

This thing has been around for a few months for comment. i find it strange that none of the pro-gun groups even commented on the proposed rule.

Quick Reply: Proposed rule changes for shipping blackpowder

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.